Forum Suggestion: Email Newsletter for New Threads

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Forum Suggestion: Email Newsletter for New Threads

Post by Ziggy »

Here's an idea that I suggested in the suggestion thread, then kicked around a little with Racketboy via PM, and am now posting a thread for more input.

I got this idea from another forum that I'm registered with. In short, I periodically get a newsletter emailed to me that has links to a couple choice new thread. I'm not sure what the exact criteria is, but it seems to pick new threads that have the most amount of replies. They are using Threadloom, which does this for them automatically, but does not support the forum software that RB uses. Perhaps there is a similar service that does? We kicked around the idea of picking threads manually for now and doing email blasts, since RB doesn't move too fast these days anyway.

The reason this is great is because it entices people to come back to the forum and participate. For those that don't regular check the forums, there might be several new threads of interest in between their visits that they never end up seeing. But getting a newsletter, "You might be interested in these new threads..." will attract them back to the forum. The idea is if you registered for the forum then you have interested in it, but if you forget to check it regularly then you will rarely participate in new threads.

The email format was pretty simple. Thread title with hyperlink, post date, replies, views, and X amount of words from the first post, then a picture (if a picture was posted). All registered forum members are automatically opted in to this newsletter, then there's a link in the email to unsubscribe. Here's a mock up, for example.

Help with PS1 Game Burns - CDR, x Speed, Software, & Drive
Jun 06, 2020 • 10 replies • 152 views
Archiving & Repro - Game Media

Jagosaurus said - Hey guys, I have 2 modded PS1 systems (one chipped, another via parallel port device) that both play burned games I inherited. It runs these fine, but I've had bad luck personally burning games. I honestly haven't invested too much time & I was using cheap, poorly stored discs. Worth noting the files I used ...

Read More >>

Thoughts?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Forum Suggestion: Email Newsletter for New Threads

Post by isiolia »

Manually curated seems like it'd be the way to go. Maybe even with threads created to get feedback or something (updating guides or rankings or something).

Those just wanting an alert when new threads are posted or something can already just hit the Subscribe to Forum (or Thread) button (the little eye icon).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yep, this wouldn't be for EVERY new thread. Just the cream of the crop.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I like the idea. Could generate traffic & activity.

Wouldn't call my thread cream of the crop though :lol:

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If I didn't check the forums regularly, that example would definitely get a click from me.