The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is......

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is.....

Post by Jagosaurus »

This thread is now up there with wrinkly PS3 covers, donuts, & Dave's 3D Ballz. 8)

Things escalated quickly lol.

I'll stick to the Saturn was odd, solitary duck.. missing 5 or so Sega's most beloved franchises.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nah, we're not in peanut butter and poptarts territory yet.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ack wrote:Nah, we're not in peanut butter and poptarts territory yet.

LMAO. Been thinking of going back to listen to some of Dave & John's podcast lately to relive some of the running gags. Also a cool time capsule of about 5 years ago in the industry.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I spent a good chunk of my day with my Dreamcast.

I'm still sticking to my guns that it's it's own thing. But it must be asked how Sega got the video output so good, that shit is crisp if you have a good VGA-HDMI cable. Kaico's cable is the truth.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I'm totally willing to consider that the Saturn had no successor.

And now for some thoughts that somewhat refute my original claims of the main pupose of the system.

When I was 1st collecting for the Sataurn, it was because there were no ports (at the time) of the 3 Holy grail games for me:
Shining Force III Trilogy
Panzer Dragoon Trilogy
Radiant Silvergun

Also, I was heavily influenced at the time by a free magazine called Silicon Magazine (I think). It had an article section called "Lost in Japan" or something or other. Those 3 games/series were featured at different times in that section. And I was like "One day, they will be mine, one way or another"

I vowed to buy the system that any of those were ported to. With the exeption of RS in 360 (dowload only) that day never happened.

And the only real true sequel to any of these (by my criteria anyway) was Panzer Dragoon Orta on oXbox.

I guess the 360 is closest, with RS download and BC with PD Orta (I assume), with a few other Saturn ports to boot, I think (Guardian Heroes) But it just doesn't feel like a Saturn begotten system (and that barely passable d-pad on the controllers isn't doing anything to help).

So I'll save the Saturn's "True successor" to honor the console with those main games (or something that lives up to them in spirit).
So far, it looks like the Polymega is the only contender for the porting standpoint (we'll see how they handle SFIII trilogy translations; I have major doubts with compatibility there).
...just another lost soul...
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I'd accept no Successor or Xbox 360.

The PS2 came close with Sega ages i still consider it a contender buuut 360 barely edges it out.

He Special edition 360 pad had a really good d-pad.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

The Wii is the spiritual successor to the Atari 2600. Very popular with people of all ages, huge sales, massive library mostly full of tat and shovel-ware, technologically inferior to its opposition. They both have Mario and Donkey Kong people, wake up!

I will accept PS1 or DS as answers but no other options will be eligible not matter how well thought out or correct your arguments are.

Thank you.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Sload Soap wrote:The Wii is the spiritual successor to the Atari 2600. Very popular with people of all ages, huge sales, massive library mostly full of tat and shovel-ware, technologically inferior to its opposition. They both have Mario and Donkey Kong people, wake up!

I will accept PS1 or DS as answers but no other options will be eligible not matter how well thought out or correct your arguments are.

Thank you.

Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Sload Soap wrote:The Wii is the spiritual successor to the Atari 2600. Very popular with people of all ages, huge sales, massive library mostly full of tat and shovel-ware, technologically inferior to its opposition. They both have Mario and Donkey Kong people, wake up!

Thank you.

You wanna take this outside sir?
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Dikdikvandik wrote:

Thank you.

You wanna take this outside sir?

No, it's cold and my mum won't let me go past the end of the road on my own.