What Sega Genesis/MegaDrive RPG do you recommend?

Level up here
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: What Sega Genesis/MegaDrive RPG do you recommend?

Post by CFFJR »

I'll second/third/whatever Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2.

I'll also recommend Shadowrun.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I would recommend all of these with a straight face:
Good luck finding it cheap.

There's an English fan trans available on RHDN.

If you only play one Genesis RPG, make it this one.

An RPG designed by Yu Suzuki, need I say more?

Or play it via GOG, whateva.

If you consider "Zelda" style games RPGs, this one's fun enough.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Besides all the ones mentioned, if you want a great strategy western RPG, then I suggest King's Bounty. There is a lot of variety and replayability in this game as you explore the world and hunt down the various bounties. It is very sandbox in nature and is a true delight.

With that in mind, there is always the Genesis version of Sid Meier's Pirates! ....although would you call that an RPG?

Don't forget also Shadowrun. Another great Western RPG that is sandbox in nature. For the Matrix alone, play this game as that is a terrific mode that absolutely defines this game in a bit bad way! I can not stress enough how much fun this game is.

I also want to recommend Shining in the Darkness for a classic Dungeon Crawl game. A lot to do, a lot to explore and great artwork make it a very delightful game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Gotta say Phantasy Star IV :mrgreen:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think they rebalanced Pier Solar a little, or at least fixed some of the inventory issues, so yes, I'd say that's pretty awesome. I really enjoyed the Genny version, even with the issues.

I'll be another that pipes up for Phantasy Star IV. That game is crazy awesome, and stacks up just fine with the best of the SNES. I'd also recommend the Shining Force games, and particularly the sequel, although both are fantastic.

A lot of folks have already mentioned Beyond Oasis as well, and I can't disagree. It's a little bit like a brawler version of Zelda. I absolutely loved the game, there's some pretty neat puzzles and combat's just a blast. I never could get into the sequel on the Saturn.

Crusader of Centy is cool, too. Not sure how easy that one is to obtain legally, though. It's pretty pricey on the aftermarket. I have a cart, but I also have no qualms about emulating games like that, especially if they're not available on the download services.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

It seems as though Phantasy Star IV is mentioned in almost every post here, so I fired it up last night. I remember thinking the Phantasy Star games looked really cool back when they were released, so I think this will be a good pick for me. I like the anime graphics so far. I'm sure I'll have more to say about the game as I get further into it. Thanks for all the recommendations. I may try out a few of the others just for kicks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

stickem wrote:Don't feel bad, i had to buy the book. It had some some nasty puzzles which i suck at anyway.

edit: misread, thought you meant looking up a faq for alundra, my bad

Yeah, it was only for one part, but still annoyed me.

So I'll probably end up doing the same for Alundra.
I'll give it my best shot first anyways :wink: .
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Do you have a Saturn or a Dreamcast? Great RPGs there as well.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Also! Anyone who wants to take a trip down the strange rabbit hole of the early life of popular developers, should play Rings of Power, the ridiculously difficult and obtuse, isometric RPG from Naughty Dog. Beat that, and my hat goes off to you.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.