Wanting to buy a turbografx, need some pointers please!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Wanting to buy a turbografx, need some pointers please!

Post by Breetai »

dedalusdedalus wrote:One last question - which version of the Duo is best out of the Duo, Duo R, and Duo RX? I can't seem to get a definitive answer regarding the comparative reliability of the three.

The original Duo still has a potential for those sound issues, unless the capacitors are fixed. A lot of the modded ones for sale do, so it might not be a concern. If they say they are fixed already, then you can feel confident that they are good.

The Duo-R and Duo-RX are exactly the same aside from some minor cosmetic differences. The Duo-RX came packaged with a 6-button controllers, while the Duo-R came with a 2-button controller.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I received a lot of help in this thread. I went with a duo-r from
Doujindance on eBay. Sure the shipping is high but these are refurbed and make sure you get one that he notes has been restored to original color (no yellowing).
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I received a lot of help in this thread. I went with a duo-r from
Doujindance on eBay. Sure the shipping is high but these are refurbed and make sure you get one that he notes has been restored to original color (no yellowing).

Awesome! Now you are obeying PC Engine. You might want to pick up an Arcade Card eventually, if you want to check out some of the cool Neo Geo ports and if you have extra cash to burn to get a copy of Sapphire. Still, that is not a necessity at all. It's like the NEC version of the 32X; some cool stuff, but still mostly pointless.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Breetai wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:I received a lot of help in this thread. I went with a duo-r from

Awesome! Now you are obeying PC Engine. You might want to pick up an Arcade Card eventually, if you want to check out some of the cool Neo Geo ports and if you have extra cash to burn to get a copy of Sapphire. Still, that is not a necessity at all. It's like the NEC version of the 32X; some cool stuff, but still mostly pointless.

Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty pumped - arcade cards aren't bad on eBay so I'll eventually look to complete my setup with it.

For those interested, he has a super grafix up right now. The ultimate in hu-card collecting!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Just to clarify guys.....

are CD based games region free? I just bought a PC Engine Duo, trying to figure out exactly what I can play.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Just to clarify guys.....

are CD based games region free? I just bought a PC Engine Duo, trying to figure out exactly what I can play.

Yes - CDs are region free
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Just to clarify guys.....

Yes - CDs are region free

Don't you just love it? :D

FYI, you can actually play HuCard ROMS from a burnt CD on your Duo. Google it. So, even if you want to be as legit as possible without modded your system, if you get a Japanese copy of Neutopia or something, just download the ROM onto a disc and play the English version without a guilty conscious. AWESOME!

As for accessories, if you haven't got it yet, you might want a multitap. You can get either a 3-way or 5-way tap. Just remember that the TG-16 one will NOT work, as the connections are different. Both a PC Engine multitap or a Turboduo one will work just fine. For some reason, they made the TG-16 control port larger than on the PC Engine, but then went with the PCE standard when the Turboduo was released in America. Likewise, you can use Turboduo controllers on any PC Engine, but not TG-16 controllers.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So here is what I was thinking for a setup:

1. Using the PC Engine Duo for all CD games (mostly American).
2. Buying an American Turbografx-16 (I've seen them around here for $70-ish) to play American hucards (is that what the games on those little cards are called?).

Make sense?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

That's what I do.

The Japanese ones are called Hucards (Hudson Cards). In the US they called them Turbo-chips.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

What I have now is a PC Engine Duo-R internally hard modded for RGB and an American hucard switch. That way not even a pin converter is needed. With the usual cost of any Duo outside Japan, it's most economical getting one with mods already in place.
Lum fan.