Wanting to buy a turbografx, need some pointers please!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ThrashOmen
16-bit

Wanting to buy a turbografx, need some pointers please!

Post by ThrashOmen »

So I don't know much about the system, but I've played the games through emulation for years.

Anyways, there are alot of games that I love in hu-card format and in disc format, but if I want to play NTSC and Import games, and I want to get one system, what should I buy?

Can I get a turbo duo and perhaps have it modded? Would it be better to get an imported PCEngine?

What should I be looking for if I want a system that can play both media formats from all regions?

All help would be greatly appreciated :)
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Wanting to buy a turbografx, need some pointers please!

Post by brunoafh »

ThrashOmen wrote:Would it be better to get an imported PCEngine?

Yeah.

edit: I don't know why but PC Engine stuff is continually on the rise these days (at least on eBay). Hard to say if this trend will continue, but if you're seriously interested in getting into PCE/Turbografx stuff, you should probably grab a console before you'll have to pay over $200 for one.
Last edited by brunoafh on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

PC Engine Duo :wink:

You can play all the game formats and get the expanded library of the PC Engine.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Bradtemple87 wrote:PC Engine Duo :wink:

You can play all the game formats and get the expanded library of the PC Engine.

Does it need to be modded at all to play NTSC cds/cards? PC Engine Duo's are plentiful compared to their US counterparts.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:

Does it need to be modded at all to play NTSC cds/cards? PC Engine Duo's are plentiful compared to their US counterparts.

You wont need to play NTSC games if you go the PC Engine route, and the games are cheaper!

The console works like most of the others out there. Region protection included
MY Sale/Trade Thread
ThrashOmen
16-bit

Post by ThrashOmen »

Bradtemple87 wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:

You wont need to play NTSC games if you go the PC Engine route, and the games are cheaper!

The console works like most of the others out there. Region protection included

I'm sure he's wanting to play the NTSC games because like me, he only knows english. So will the PCEngine Duo play North American games? I'm asking because I have a few NTSC TurboChips from a guy who was basically giving away his gaming collection. I snagged a handful of individually bagged cards and he charged me a buck a piece.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

No, to my knowledge everything is region specific. Also, US Turbo Duos are very expensive to give you a heads up
MY Sale/Trade Thread
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Overall least hassle is holding out for a modded Duo-R from the start. Won't have to deal with the scarce/expensive US super system card and CD drive, the first US turbo's different controller port, potential reliability issues of a US Turbo Duo, or sending your system in for mods later.

Done right they can have a region switch to play US cards and phenomenal RGB output (though outside Europe one will obviously need a converter box given our TVs lack SCART) that flat out blows away how mediocre composite often looks on LCDs.

A minor thing is it'll contain Japan's CD bios. I forget the amount of Japanese text its built in save manager has.

What I can assure you the total price of such an already full equipped PCEngine is less than separately buying a US turbo, US super system card, US CD drive, and region/RGB mod for it. Not sure how many people offer Duo-R's like this. Last I recall ebay seller 'doujindance' specializes in selling them for about $200 plus shipping from Japan. Out of stock at the moment but check back once in a while.
Lum fan.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I'll just chime in to confirm that the most cost-effective way to get an all-in-one TG-16 is to get a Japanese PC Engine Duo (or Duo-R, or Duo-RX, or base unit/Super Grafx with Super CD-ROM2 add-on). Add-in an arcade card for full compatibility. Region mod it to play US HuCards.

The end.

Both the PC Engine CD-ROM2 w/interface unit and US CD-ROM (the original model for each region) is very prone to breaking. Unless you REALLY like the look of it, save yourself a headache and don't bother with it. Also, the original Duo (both US and Japan) has an issue with the capacitors. They generally need replacing eventually. It is an easy fix if you can solder, so the original Duo is still a decent option. Just be aware that it might need some repairs eventually.

To be honest, you don't even really need to region mod the system. The majority of games that you would need to read much text for are on CD (ie. RPGs), and CDs are all region free. There are very few US RPGs on HuCard, so you really wouldn't be missing out much. Neutopia is one of the only major releases that you might worry about. It is really worth the money to mod it? That's your choice.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Thanks - a modded pc engine duo seems like the most ideal setup.