is it ok to make saturn backups on Memorex brand CD-rs?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Well, when I burn a game, and a month later it doesn't work anymore, despite being scratch free, I just get pissed. Once I started burning to quality media, this problem vanished. I am still in the process of reburning many of my saturn, ps1, and dc games onto proper media. I want them to last.

A good rule of thumb is if you can see the data you wrote to the disc with your own human eyes, the lens will have no issues. Stick with dark green and dark blue dyes, that have a big contrast between the blank section and the data section on the disc. Avoid clear looking dyes. And avoid the solid black PS1-style CD-R's. They don't offer the quality of true PS1 discs.
persona21
8-bit

Post by persona21 »

so brands are good but also not that expensive?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

persona21 wrote:so brands are good but also not that expensive?

Well what I am trying to say is:

1) Brands don't mean much. Most companies manufacture low quality and high quality versions of their discs. They just tend to ship off the low quality stuff to retail stores because the average person who shops there is an idiot.

2) When it comes to retail stores, the price really is a good way to judge. If you see a bundle that is 50 pieces for $15, and then you see a bundle that is 25 pieces for $15, chances are the latter is higher quality.

Also, when you order online, the prices will always be better, and places like Meritline allow you to buy bundles that come with no spindle, and no label side matts. This brings the cost WAY down, while keeping disc quality high. You can always just use your spindles from previous bundles.
ducktapevoodoo
16-bit

Post by ducktapevoodoo »

i always just use the maxell cds they sell at cvs on teh corner and ive had no problems yet
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

persona21 wrote:so brands are good but also not that expensive?

I usually buy Fuji, Verbatim, and Memorex
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

There is this brand called Spin-X. They have no labels... both sides are silver though the burnable side you can see that it is just a different tone due to the ink. Really they remind me of Taito Yuden disks a lot...

anyways these things sell at places like comp-usa and OfficeMax for DIRT cheap... something like 10 bones for a 100 pack (I really don't pay close attention to prices of throw away products like CD-Rs... I go through 100+ a month). Anyways these things ROCK. I have plenty of games burned to them from 3-4 years ago that work just fine today... a lot of bang for your buck. And if your like me who has about a million cd-rs lying around your house... most of which aren't even labeled and it's dependant on "ok I think this pile was a pile of some music cd's and a couple saturn games. All right now lets look at the underside... hrmm, that is way to short a burn to be a music CD... it's not MP3 cause those are on the speaker... I'm guessing this is a Small Saturn game... AH I know, its Bubble Bobble Collection. YEY!"

Yeah... I'm the most disorganized person, but it works for me. That whole process hardly takes but a minute for me. Nevermind that I for some reason can catalog just about every different disk in a pile in my head and still bring it up a year later... thank God for photographic memory.

ummm... tangent?

Anyways, just go with what is gonna be most cost effective for you... it breaks! Who CARES... burn another. The disk costs fucking 5-10 cents. Seriousily... and I've always burned at 40X and higher speed as well every time!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers