is it ok to make saturn backups on Memorex brand CD-rs?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
persona21
8-bit

is it ok to make saturn backups on Memorex brand CD-rs?

Post by persona21 »

because i downloaded a sega saturn game, and a readme file said that hardware is picky about media, so don't use memorex cds, as they will not work. has anyone ever tried playing backups burned w/ memorex discs? are memorex discs supposed to be crappy, die out quickly, etc?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

The truth is, 99% of Memorex CD-R's are crap. The 1% are the high grade CD-Rs they make, but you'll never find them for sale in your average walmart. So we just tend to say Memorex is crap, to simplify matters. Basically, don't buy CD-Rs at walmart or any other retail store. They will always be crap. And the ones that aren't crap are way too expensive. Just buy them online.

meritline.stores.yahoo.net

Get Taiyo Yuden brand. Best bang for the buck.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Taiyo Yuden are great, but you don't NEED them for the Saturn.
Memorex will probably be good enough, but it just depends on how long you want them to last.
Just DO NOT buy the cheap store brands or Phillips brand. Sometimes those won't even burn right.

I tried using a 30-pk of Philips and I had to throw away about 10 of them because my burner wouldn't even bother with them.
Zed
8-bit

Post by Zed »

I use Sony CD-Rs and they're perfectly fine. Never had a single one dying on me. <fanboyism> It's the only thing Sony I can recommend :lol: </fanboyism>
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Good luck with cdrs on saturn

Post by Mega-Dan »

My saturn takes almost everything I throw at it, including most cruddy cheap media, its as good a drive as the Dreamcast. I think there was only one brand it didnt like, and it was really bargain basement, even my computer didnt like it to much.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

BTW, if you want to play it safe -- just burn at 8X or lower
bawitback
64-bit

Post by bawitback »

Ah, that might related to s small problem I encountered. I bought a 30pk of Memorax and tried (many) times to burn Saturn games, they ended up on 0% with an error.
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

bawitback wrote:Ah, that might related to s small problem I encountered. I bought a 30pk of Memorax and tried (many) times to burn Saturn games, they ended up on 0% with an error.

Same here. I find that it dosent reall matter what brand you use. The saturn reads all disks equally.
arion
Next-Gen

i dont know much about cd brands but

Post by arion »

i´ve been using Verbatim and ePro cd´s..i havent had much proplem with them aside from a few faulti cd´s in a ePro 50 pack.
persona21
8-bit

Post by persona21 »

well, i just burned several games on memorex cdrs......and they play just fine!!

i'm not sure if the readme file i read meant that the saturn doesn't read his memorex cdrs (who knows, memorex might've changed their formula?) or maybe he meant that memorex cdrs die a lot faster? which would suck...