PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:@Joe, thanks. Was thinking I must've missed it somewhere. They should've labeled it "hack here." :wink:

samsonlonghair wrote:
Image telling an average consumer to buy a PS3, connect it to his TV and to his broadband internet, give another stupid service his Credit Card number (or go back out to buy a PSN card), then telling that consumer to load the PSN store on his PS3, download PS Classic titles, then telling him to try transferring those titles over to another device. :?

Too many steps; it wouldn’t fly.

You and I still wish for a better collection of games, and we will likely get our wish if the Hackchi community has anything to say about it.

Except we're weirdos & enjoy the project tinkering :lol:. I really want a new Vita... but I want to permanently hack it so I'll likely end up buying an earlier model... yeah, we're not normal their consumers. I should buy a Switch instead 8)

I do think it'll get hacked quick. That said, these games are much larger than ROMS so you'll have to pick & choose which you want on board based on storage size.

Agreed. PS1 .ISO files are scales of magnitude larger than NES ROM files.

Maybe a curated collection is better anyway. Any given console has more mediocre games than masterpieces. Trying to keep a full rom set on a HDD connected to a mini console is possible, but not necessary a great idea. It’s probably better to just load the games we’re actually going to play.

For instance, many gamers love the classic RPG library of the PS1, but I don’t care for that genre myself. Turn-based RPGs just aren’t my cup of tea. I’d probably just prefer to keep more action-oriented arcade games loaded. Maybe I could supplement my collection with a few of the action RPGs.

The next gamer might love turn-based jRPGs. Maybe he might think it’s silly to keep multiple revisions of street fighter games loaded up in one collection. Maybe he doesn’t care that Soul Blade launched a great franchise if it’s a weak game compared to later iterations.

Limiting which games we scroll through in our mini consoles will make organization easier, and ease the mind a bit.

isiolia wrote:Personally, much like with the Nintendo consoles, I don't see much appeal in hacking this. Once you get to loading it up with ROMs, to me, it's not much different than emulating on any other device. For $100, you can buy a refurb office PC or something that'd be far more capable.

Oh, believe me, I have bought an old office PC and done just that. It was a fun project to put together, but I don’t mess with it anymore. Maybe it’s the bland corporate aesthetic; maybe it’s the relative heft, or the fan noise; maybe it’s the boot time. Maybe it’s because I never installed a ten-foot UI. I just don’t play the thing anymore. It mostly sits in the closet where I keep my computer parts.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

If they're going for the non-enthusiast nostalgia crowd though, I think not having Crash, Spyro, or Tomb Raider is a big misfire. They're missing a lot of the most iconic games on the system, so I think a lot of casual consumers who liked the PS1 era but don't game much now very well may look that the list doesn't have their favorite(s), has all this weird stuff they've never heard of on top of a $100 price tag and turn their noses at it. I dont' think it'll do terribly or anything, but I think it will underperform compared to how Sony wants it to.

On the topic of the expansion port I can't imagine it does anything that special or Sony would've told us by now. The internet at large doesn't seem to be too hot on that games list, so if they were holding back some internet-enabled feature I'd have to imagine they would've put it out there for damage control by now. Otherwise they were just ridiculous for not putting that info out at the games list launch in the first place.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:If they're going for the non-enthusiast nostalgia crowd though, I think not having Crash, Spyro, or Tomb Raider is a big misfire. They're missing a lot of the most iconic games on the system, so I think a lot of casual consumers who liked the PS1 era but don't game much now very well may look that the list doesn't have their favorite(s), has all this weird stuff they've never heard of on top of a $100 price tag and turn their noses at it. I dont' think it'll do terribly or anything, but I think it will underperform compared to how Sony wants it to.

I agree. I’m sure most everyone on this forum agrees that Sony should have included at least one Crash, one Spyro, and one Tomb Raider game.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Should have included Crash Team Racing.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

^Can't no activision, which also kept out spyro and tony hawk.

You know I've been thinking, what if this gimpy list was intentional. It keeps coming back to how it's convenient because PS1 was not added to PS4 which is a first for dropping them. What if this is just bait? PS1 is coming, so they don't want to put the really memorable great stuff other than a couple pieces of good bait (MGS, FF7) to get attention.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Wouldn't it be nice of them if Sony gave a code for all the games unlocked on your PSN account too (all the ones available on there anyways)? Might make me update a system or something.

This is definitely a no go for me though. PS2 (pops), PS3, and PSIO are my main PS1 players (with the occasional PSP eboot). Don't need an additional one; and of the 10 games I don't already have legit access too, I think Intelligent Qube is the only one I really want to play.

The other 2 RPG choices are really bizarre to me though. Wild Arms I did like, but there are dozens of better choices and Revelations: Persona is a very niche game, that even fans of the series (Persona games) might not enjoy.
...just another lost soul...
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Tanooki wrote:You know I've been thinking, what if this gimpy list was intentional. It keeps coming back to how it's convenient because PS1 was not added to PS4 which is a first for dropping them. What if this is just bait? PS1 is coming, so they don't want to put the really memorable great stuff other than a couple pieces of good bait (MGS, FF7) to get attention.

I doubt that many companies out there would elect to spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to develop and market a product, only to deliberately reduce its market appeal right before they release it.

It's almost certainly an issue of licensing. Even if whoever was behind selecting the games knew nothing about them, the sales numbers would have dictated a different list.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'd think the licensing came down to dollars versus the respective companies trying to push people over to remastered copies. If anything, this would build hype for those. Imagine Sony could have got them, but it would've pushed internal costs up on the package. Some bean counter decided making more per unit was worth more than having 3 top games/series on the system. :roll:

All hypothetical of course.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

isiolia wrote:
Tanooki wrote:You know I've been thinking, what if this gimpy list was intentional. It keeps coming back to how it's convenient because PS1 was not added to PS4 which is a first for dropping them. What if this is just bait? PS1 is coming, so they don't want to put the really memorable great stuff other than a couple pieces of good bait (MGS, FF7) to get attention.

I doubt that many companies out there would elect to spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to develop and market a product, only to deliberately reduce its market appeal right before they release it.

It's almost certainly an issue of licensing. Even if whoever was behind selecting the games knew nothing about them, the sales numbers would have dictated a different list.

You're right, at face value. But look at all the non-negative comments online, and there are a lot. The games aren't (well Tom Clancy aside) bad for the most part, good really, just not the most memorable other than a couple of them. The thing is, it woudn't be sabotage. This isn't meant for us who would get butthurt over this list. It's meant for the teens and kids of the 90s who ate this thing up and would want a cheap memory box that's at the plug and play idiotbox level. Power, HDMI, controller -- GO! That's what this is and at $100 it hits the level people would pop for it. It really isn't harming them with a gimpy list, because to most who just see it as a casual pick up and play device (like atgames stuff) it's not gimpy but has variety. MGS, RPGs, Racers, Fighters, Puzzles, and more it's there for those who don't feel like it's a mistake and we're outnumbered. So I still think looking at it that way, it's possible they did it on purpose to protect something intended for PS4 next year.

Outside of the stuff Activision owns, and really just looking at the massive amount of choices Sony made themselves excluded needing no licensing, and those SquareEnix(which controls Eidos), Capcom, Konami, and Namco could have included it just comes off very suspect as protecting the value of some games maybe for something better.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

*shrugs* I like the list. It's not my dream-list (My dream list would have Tiny Tank.), but I think it hits the major nostalgia buttons. I think Jumping Flash was included because it's gotten a bit of attention lately, making it a nice curio. I don't know anything about Persona, but I'm guessing fans of the series that are in the market for this device would like having it. I know even less about Cool Boarders, so I can't think of a reason why anyone would want the second installment. Symphony of the Night definitely should've been on there.

Tanooki wrote:The games aren't (well Tom Clancy aside) bad for the most part, good really, just not the most memorable other than a couple of them.

Hey, Rainbow Six is awesome.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|