NES Classic

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: NES Classic

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Nintendo likes money - I'm confident they see this initial demand and are ready. The Wii thing was a disaster, I remember snagging two off Amazon in those brief minute windows (I did not re-sell, they were for me and a family member). The WiiU launch was better. I'm sure this one will be too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I got the Wii by calling the local Walmart quite a bit. I wasn't going to wait in line. I found out when they usually get their shipments, and showed up in-store to check, even though when I called they said they were out of stock. They'd just gotten some in. Lucky break, indeed! (I'd already bought Zelda, so you can guess what I was doing for the next few weeks.)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:I got the Wii by calling the local Walmart quite a bit. I wasn't going to wait in line. I found out when they usually get their shipments, and showed up in-store to check, even though when I called they said they were out of stock. They'd just gotten some in. Lucky break, indeed! (I'd already bought Zelda, so you can guess what I was doing for the next few weeks.)

Ha! I bought Twilight Princess before as well :)

Maybe I'm wrong. Nintendo brings it out in people. Either way, it will sell big.

Last I checked the WiiU had sold around 11 million units. Not looking up stats, that's not much over the Dreamcast and about half the Gamecube. Correct me if I'm wrong. This definitely has the potential to easily surpass the WiiU, especially if early reviews are solid which I expect them to be.

Edit: grammar. On mobile.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Was it this thread or another I read, someone wondered if this could surpass the WiiU, and I definitely think, if not globally regionally in areas it easily could. The WiiU was better managed at launch, only because the demand wasn't there. They shoveled out stock like they did for Wii in anticipation of people being all over it, and instead the boxes sat on the floors of various stores for weeks into months. It never was given or had much of a chance since day one.
StuntDouble
64-bit

Post by StuntDouble »

I'm just sad that there's no way to add more games to the system. I was just thinking how great it would be if Nintendo actually produced mini-carts containing an SD card inside, that were loaded with 5-10 games each, and sold at retail. Just pull the cart out, slide a new one in and game on. In theory, a proprietary case would help prevent people just loading them up with roms (for a few months at least).

Obviously I know it wouldn't work with the system's current construction, but a man can dream. Of course, having a limited library means there's a better chance I'll actually play the games, rather than just keep scrolling through a list of a few hundred trying to pick one out.
Current systems: Nintendo Switch and XBox 360,
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's the thing we don't 100% truly know. Nintendo is well known for blowing smoke and half truths to shut up speculators as they've done it before doing dodges. While it's almost surely true, one could wonder if they left a back door open on the devices if for any reason just for warranty repair cases.

I still believe it could be very possible via the mini-usb jack in back or even one of the 2 controller ports, it could in theory be possible be allowed to pass firmware updates and re-flashing of data to do in house repairs. If that is actually possible, one would think you could sell a little cartridge like you said with a flip out prong on it (like those indiebox games with the usb credit card devices in them) where you pop it into port 2, flip the sucker on, and it flashes a new total write to the internal storage over-writing your existing games (convenient way to squash a bug/glitch) while throwing added content in there.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Just checked my GameStop and they don't have a pre order set date yet. I hope that they get one soon. Even though I have an everdrive this thing is so sweet.
No I gotta ask and maybe it's been answered. For the people who do collect, will this thing decrease the prices of those games or see more inflation
Great here we go:
http://m.bonanza.com/listings/nintendo- ... gQodw3MCDQ
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

mas wrote:Just checked my GameStop and they don't have a pre order set date yet. I hope that they get one soon. Even though I have an everdrive this thing is so sweet.
No I gotta ask and maybe it's been answered. For the people who do collect, will this thing decrease the prices of those games or see more inflation
Great here we go:
http://m.bonanza.com/listings/nintendo- ... gQodw3MCDQ

And so it begins. I know you can pre-order in the UK but where can we pre-order in the US, if at all? GameStop has the book and controller available for pre-order but no console though the book is much cheaper on Amazon.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

mas wrote:No I gotta ask and maybe it's been answered. For the people who do collect, will this thing decrease the prices of those games or see more inflation

It won't cause the latter but it won't cause the former either.

I was once foolish enough to think that the dawn of the Virtual Console would spell the end of rising value for my SNES carts.

How stupidly naive I was to think that...How costly it proved to be when I sold many of them for what was, at the time, a good price.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I looked on GameStop. I can't even see the controller being ready for pre order. Where a outs did you see it on the site jmbarnes