Best rpgs that never made it here

Level up here
sakicfan84
24-bit

Re: Best rpgs that never made it here

Post by sakicfan84 »

Pullmyfinger wrote:It's odd that Suito Homu (Sweet Home) hasn't been mentioned

A late 80's RPG by capcom based on a movie, it's a pretty cool game that does away with many genre cliches especially for the time:

*If a player dies, he/she is dead for the rest of the game
*There is only a number of healing items, once they're gone they don't come back
*No medieval setting!
*No towns
*No item shops
*The story is a mystery that has to be solved by looking at notes around the house, a diary, corpses and secret messages in paintings
*Enemies are ghosts, not monsters!
*Every character has an item that overcomes certain obstacles
*There are quick time events
*Sometimes it really does scare you :)
*Mature themes, blood and gore everywhere

This is one of my favorite games and probably was the last RPG I finished, there was a pretty kickass translation out there so you don't have any excuse not to play it.

I'm totally going to give this game a shot after I finish playing through DW4.
X-Fire: ezsblehman
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, you gotta keep in mind when playing it that it was a big influence when Capcom was making Resident Evil. It's seriously worth checking out, I had a lot of fun with it.
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

I second or third Sweet Home, as well as the Shining Force III scenerios. There's also Violinist of Hamelin, Ghost Sweeper Mikami and Do-Re-Mi Fantasy that spring readily to mind. There's also a ton of PC Engine/PC Engine CD games that should have gotten ported, like Startling Fantasy, Last Armageddon and the Dragon Knight series (tho there's a good reason the DK games didn't).

I'd love to see Square stop rehashing the same games over and over (Final Fantasy I-IV, Chrono Trigger) and release some titles we never got, like Bahamut Lagoon, Live A Live, Radical Dreamers (why not put that in the CT remake on the DS?), or any number of other titles... heck, I'd even like to see a compendium of Deep Dungeon games! Speaking of, how about Sega release a compendium of Phantasy Star games including the Game Gear ones and teh Sega Ages remakes? I won't hold my breath.

Another one that I've been dying to play since I first heard of it is Moon Remix RPG. It's impossible to find even as an import title, but sounds like a very solid game that turns the RPG genre on its head.

I'd also like to see the RPG-remix of Snatcher (can't remember the full title atm) get a translated release, but fat chance of that happening. I seriously could go on and on in this topic...

[edit: D'oh! Just realized this is the RPG forum and a topic about RPGs that never made it here. I mentioned three platform games right off the bat. XD]
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

Princess Crown for the Saturn. It got ported to the PSP but for Japan only I believe.
"You're just given the illusion that your decisions can actually make a difference when in the end all has been decided by the programmers." NebachadnezzaR