Concept for a game engine

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Concept for a game engine

Post by REPO Man »

Now, originally, the game engine concept was concocted as a a game based on Degrassi: TNG, but then I got the idea to also use the same gameplay for a similar game based on Beverly Hills 90210. And yes, it can be used beyond adaptations of teen soaps, or even daytime ones.

Here's the concept:

You are a character in a world surrounded with a variety of characters to interact with. You can be anything from their best friend to worst enemy, and possibly even date them. But the game also manages your friendship/rivalries with others. And also, not all the characters get along, so if you start to socialize with someone your friends hate, they begin to question their friendship with you. So, basically, it's a social game.

But aside from social aspect, you've also gotta take care of yourself. You still gotta eat, drink, use the bathroom, deal with health/hygiene, and other stuff.

But before you start shouting "Sims Ripoff!", keep reading.

Aside from social interacting, there's also events. Like if an NPC brings a gun to school/etc setting, if your actions deem it, you may end up hurt or even killed. That's right, you can die in this game. And not just at someone else's hands. You may even die at your own hands, whether by your own volition or by your mistake. Another example is that you are trying out for a team that your friend is also trying out for. If you make the team and they don't, what you did and/or said will create an effect, whether it's exclusion from his/her social circle or them getting over it.

And there's also room for minigames. They can be anything from playing in the big game against Lakehurst (Degrassi TNG example) or going shopping with Donna and Kelly (90210 example).

Also, games can be episodic, and you can carry over your progress to the next game (which may cover the events of an entire season or story arc) OR you can enter the new game as a new character. Also, with each game, you could even have something called "free play", where you choose available characters and after a few options, you can create an on-going campaign.

And another thing about the original concept. You know how shows like Degrassi TNG and 90210 tend to be so complex? I mean, a single character tends to have numerous former and potential friends, enemies and boyfriends/girlfriends, and numerous complexities. And as an adaptation of a show like that, you can figure out "what if X and Y were friends instead of enemies" or "what if this character didn't get in that car accident" or "what if that person never got raped" or whatever.

And before you ask:

* I like Degrassi TNG because I just do. I can't explain it. I just started watching it one day.

* 90210 is a bit more obvious, since I'm a total '90s fanatic, and it being one of the longest-running shows of the '90s, it was bound to happen.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Concept for a game engine

Post by GSZX1337 »

REPO Man wrote:Now, originally, the game engine concept was concocted as a a game based on Degrassi: TNG

And that's where I stopped reading.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Concept for a game engine

Post by REPO Man »

GSZX1337 wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Now, originally, the game engine concept was concocted as a a game based on Degrassi: TNG

And that's where I stopped reading.

Well, read the rest.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

If you could get it devolped it sounds like it would sell. Especially to teenage girls....except they may not like the whole pooping and dying aspect. My girl friend has a secret (well i guess not now) love for Degrassi....and I've watched it with her a few times. They actually tackle some tough subjects on there. It's kinda like My So Called Life - light or Freaks and Geeks(but not even close to as funny). I'm not a fan really, but I could see how it would apeal to people. I hated 90210 on the other hand, I was watching Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure back then. You should check out Persona 3....becasue that actually has many of the aspects you're talking about....but also you shoot yourself in the head to release your persona when you fight....which is something that never happened on 90210 unfortunatly.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

ott0bot wrote:If you could get it devolped it sounds like it would sell. Especially to teenage girls....except they may not like the whole pooping and dying aspect. My girl friend has a secret (well i guess not now) love for Degrassi....and I've watched it with her a few times. They actually tackle some tough subjects on there. It's kinda like My So Called Life - light or Freaks and Geeks(but not even close to as funny). I'm not a fan really, but I could see how it would apeal to people. I hated 90210 on the other hand, I was watching Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure back then. You should check out Persona 3....becasue that actually has many of the aspects you're talking about....but also you shoot yourself in the head to release your persona when you fight....which is something that never happened on 90210 unfortunatly.

Actually, the engine could be for a variety of target audiences. Not just girls. And there'd be no "pooping", all you'd have to do is go to the bathroom, and you walk in the stall and walk out.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

REPO Man wrote:
ott0bot wrote:If you could get it devolped it sounds like it would sell. Especially to teenage girls....except they may not like the whole pooping and dying aspect. My girl friend has a secret (well i guess not now) love for Degrassi....and I've watched it with her a few times. They actually tackle some tough subjects on there. It's kinda like My So Called Life - light or Freaks and Geeks(but not even close to as funny). I'm not a fan really, but I could see how it would apeal to people. I hated 90210 on the other hand, I was watching Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure back then. You should check out Persona 3....becasue that actually has many of the aspects you're talking about....but also you shoot yourself in the head to release your persona when you fight....which is something that never happened on 90210 unfortunatly.

Actually, the engine could be for a variety of target audiences. Not just girls. And there'd be no "pooping", all you'd have to do is go to the bathroom, and you walk in the stall and walk out.

yeah otto, girls don't poop. we've been over this.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

aaron wrote:
REPO Man wrote:

I was just thinking that if it came out on the Wii the Wiimote would hold some awkward possibilities for the rest room experience. Do you get extra credit for proper wiping?

but seriously....I would hate this game. I already have a real life, and although I'm very happy with it, I want my games to be quite the opposite.
Kevman
128-bit

Post by Kevman »

ott0bot wrote:
aaron wrote:
REPO Man wrote:

I was just thinking that if it came out on the Wii the Wiimote would hold some awkward possibilities for the rest room experience. Do you get extra credit for proper wiping?

but seriously....I would hate this game. I already have a real life, and although I'm very happy with it, I want my games to be quite the opposite.

I agree, where else can you jump on owls and eat mushrooms with positive effects.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

wouldn't that be a game design?

A game engine is like... umm... the program in which you build your game. Like "Source Engine" is the engine for the game designs "Half Life 2" and "Team Fortress 2".
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

lordofduct wrote:wouldn't that be a game design?

A game engine is like... umm... the program in which you build your game. Like "Source Engine" is the engine for the game designs "Half Life 2" and "Team Fortress 2".

Or Unreal....yes I think you're right. I know what he meant, so I just went with it.