Cancer and reproductive harm - p65warnings.ca.gov

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Cancer and reproductive harm - p65warnings.ca.gov

Post by Raging Justice »

Um, so I noticed this on a picture of the back of the physical release for Super Mario Bros Wonder as I was contemplating buying the physical copy as it's one of the few games today with the entire game on the cartridge (though this will likely change if they release a patch or update for the game in the future). I've been playing the digital version and it's quite good.

I don't know what to make of this warning though. It's right above the rating on the back of the case. Is it a cause for concern? Are companies knowingly selling products that put people at risk for cancer or reproductive harm? In this day and age, that certainly wouldn't surprise me.

marurun

Re: Cancer and reproductive harm - p65warnings.ca.gov

Post by marurun »

This isn't the best explanation, but it isn't loaded with politics or or jokes. Basically, common plasticizers can potentially be harmful, but since you're unlikely to eat your Switch case or use it as a plate or a cup you have very little to worry about.

https://www.svg.com/620625/why-some-of- ... r-warning/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:This isn't the best explanation, but it isn't loaded with politics or or jokes. Basically, common plasticizers can potentially be harmful, but since you're unlikely to eat your Switch case or use it as a plate or a cup you have very little to worry about.

https://www.svg.com/620625/why-some-of- ... r-warning/

Thanks. I just wanted some clarification. Seems like this warning has been around for some time now, I don't have a lot of physical Switch games so this is the first time I've seen it.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is awesome. I had to own a copy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/abo ... osition-65

In short, Proposition 65 is a list of chemicals that are known to cause cancer or reproductive harm. If a product contains one or more of those chemicals, then it must include that warning.

Without treading into politics or anything close to it, the reason P65 is a bit of a joke is because you can find that warning on just about everything at this point. The warning is generic, the same on every item it's slapped on, and never specifies which chemicals or in what quantities. So it's useless as a warning to the consumer. But it seems that wasn't the original intent. As to not talk about politics on this forum, if you want to read more into that the Wikipedia page has some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Cali ... osition_65

But you could have a better time if you follow this link instead: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54041
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Imagine if a videogame could give you cancer as easily as a jumpscare lol
The indie game scene would be very different.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Everything in California causes cancer
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hazerd wrote:Everything in California causes cancer

I mean, just existing causes cancer, so…
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It is really funny though... That things are known to the state of California to cause cancer. So I guess those things don't cause cancer in NY.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:It is really funny though... That things are known to the state of California to cause cancer. So I guess those things don't cause cancer in NY.

NY just doesn’t know it, yet. It’ll be a surprise!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No, I prefer to live in denial. What I don't know can't hurt me!