Digital-only Games That Need To Be Re-Released

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Digital-only Games That Need To Be Re-Released

Post by Ziggy »

There are some really great games that have been released only digitally. Some digital-only games become unavailable after a store front goes down, or they've been pulled from sale for whatever reason (usually legal). What are some games that need to be kept alive with a re-release? I know I have a few personal picks, and I'm sure others do as well. Scott Pilgrim was on my list, but thankfully it was just announced that it will be coming to current gen consoles.

Mortal Kombat II

MKII had a very near perfect port released on PSN for the PS2. It included online competition. It was the closest to the arcade that I have ever experienced in a port. Unfortunately, it was never released outside of the PS3. One weird thing I've noticed is that it plays perfectly on my PS2 fat but has a little stuttering on my PS3 slim. I don't know if that's just my experience or if it has a problem on all slim models. But either way, it's a real shame this great port never had another release. And IIRC, this can no longer be purchased from PSN

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

PS3 got MKII, and Xbox 360 got UMK3 on Xbox Live that also had online competition. I always thought it was very strange that each platform didn't get both. I've never played this port of UMK3, but from what I understand it was also very good. It was removed the Xbox Live in 2010.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

I can kind of forgive the above two ports going away because of the release of MK Arcade Kollection, which included the first MK, MKII and UMK3. All three games were very good ports, close to arcade perfect. I remember thinking that the standalone port of MKII on PSN was a tad better, but MKII in this collection was still great. This was released only digitally for PS3 and Xbox 360, then a year later on Windows. From what I can tell, the Windows version was released via Steam and is no longer available. This was the best way to experience the original trilogy and it's baffling that it's no longer available.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled

This was a 2.5D remake of the classic beat-em-up game. It was released only digitally for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in August and September of 2009. It was pulled in June of 2011, not even 2 years after it was released. How was it? Well, you'll never know!

Konami ReBirth Series (Castlevania, Contra, Gradius)

In 2009, Konami released three "ReBirth" games for WiiWare, which was Nintendo's digital game platform on the Wii. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, Contra ReBirth, and Gradius ReBirth. These games are no longer available due to Nintendo closing the Wii's online storefront. I cannot speak for the Contra or Gradius games, but I can say that Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth is a must-play for any classic-vania fan.

So, what are some other examples of digital-only games that need to be re-released?
Ghegs
64-bit

Re: Digital-only Games That Need To Be Re-Released

Post by Ghegs »

Outrun Online Arcade is the first that came to mind. It was available on PS3 and Xbox 360's respective online platforms for only about two years, before Sega lost the Ferrari license.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

+1 for the Rebirth series. Konami needs to package those up for the Switch. Here are a few more:

Blaster Master Overdrive
Bionic Commando ReArmed 1-2
marurun

Post by marurun »

Bionic Commando Re-Armed is still available on Steam.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Good ports of Konami Arcade Beatem Ups are hard to come by.

TMNT Arcade on XBLA - sure Arcade1up rereleased it but it is a high cost of entry and you got to have the space for the cab.
X-Men Arcade XBLA/PS3 - bought this the day it came out!
Simpsons Arcade - XBLA/PS3 - I wish I bought this one.

Also Re-Shelled was just ok. I think I prefer the arcade/snes version. My kids love Re-shelled though.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Hard corps uprising absolutely should get a re-release, it was the one of the last great contra games

Rush n attack ex patriot was a pretty fun update only on 360 and ps3

Moondiver is a strider ish platformer that is pretty decent, currently playing that so i don't have a final opinion on it yet

Shadow complex is a fantastic metroidvania, it does have a free pc download but no commercial release i am aware of

Those are the first few that pop in my head that have not been named already but I could probably give a dozen more if I had my 360 in front of me

In addition to the arcade releases the entire 360 indie game marketplace needs a re release, way too many lost gems, many of which are completely impossible to play if you haven't already bought them
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Reflect Missile - A DSiware only title that has Bust a Move like shooting for Arkanoid styled shots to solve puzzles.

Metal Torrent - A solid DSiware only bullethell vert.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

pook99 wrote:Shadow complex is a fantastic metroidvania, it does have a free pc download but no commercial release i am aware of

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3855 ... emastered/

Also available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4's stores, I understand.
Ack

Post by Ack »

The answer is P.T.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...Afterburner Climax would be nice to see.