The best 90´s PC game

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
warlord
8-bit

The best 90´s PC game

Post by warlord »

Free speech! What is the best PC game launched in 90´s. My opinion is that Ultima Underworld is the best game on this category. It is a great mix of roleplay and adventure spiced with good graphics. This game truly is great and dark journey.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: The best 90´s PC game

Post by samsonlonghair »

Off the top of my head, Doom and Sim City 2000 were both fantastic PC games of the '90s. They were wildly successful and immeasurably influential.

Edit: SimCity 2000 was not exclusive to the PC. It was originally available on Mac, and was later updated and ported to Windows PCs and consoles.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

Sam and Max Hit the Road
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

For some reason I really loved a game called Ecstatica.

It was an Alone in the Dark style fantasy adventure with one of the greatest senses of dread and foreboding I've ever felt in a game. It also used a weird elipsoid graphical style.

It had good and bad endings and you could play as a man or a woman iirc.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

The Secret of Monkey Island is my my all time favorite game. LucasArts owned the 90's.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The very best PC game made in the 90's:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

There's a lot of stuff coming to mind, but I'm not sure they're the absolute best... I need to look at my collection to make sure.

I'm tempted to say the Descent games, but I'm going to go with something different: Star Control 2. Boy, that was a good one. Great sense of humor, a splendid soundtrack, and some fun ship-to-ship combat.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Such amazing writing on that one, set locations, good and not aggravating puzzles, just lots to do and uniquely 3 styles of path to play much of it. Considered by fans for a LONG time the lost 4th movie until there was one, people still want it as a movie which is increasingly unlikely given there's one remaining to come and it would require re-working it as his age to do it.

Outside of that I think the fair statement already done right up top with DOOM and Sim City 2000 as they really were huge replay worthy test of time quality stuff that still stands, still sells, and still is enjoyed by generations and still influences development of titles then and now.

While it is dead, it is having an offbeat not name the same offshoot in the works called star citizen, but Wing Commander popped out in 1990 and had 2 addons, a sequel with 2 more of those for it too shortly after. Considered by those not totally sucked in by 'the force' (aka Star Wars) as the best of that style of game on the PC, it did get some console/computer/handheld ports over the years. Great designs, really good writing that kept you motivated and into it, invested really, solid control, varied ships and locations, missions too.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

That's a difficult question because the 90's was a decade with a massive amount of evolution for PC games. From the age of DOS to the start of 3D acceleration.

It was PC's golden age and there was so much available for so many different types of gamers that even a top ten doesn't scratch the surface for me. It's my favorite era of my favorite platform.

That said, Wing Commander 2 is my favorite game of all time so I'd go with that.

Doom was probably the most significant game of the 90's though. If I had to choose the overall best game of the 90's it would have to be that.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Way to broad of a topic. Just in FPS's you go from 1991s Catacomb 3D to 1999s Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2.

I mean, if you have to pick one, Doom would probably be the most important.

edit:
ninjaed by gunstar.