There any known info sites to see if a hack/patch/fix exists

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

There any known info sites to see if a hack/patch/fix exists

Post by Tanooki »

There any known sites with patches or fixes for games made for the 32/16bit era that were fine running on Windows 7 64bit but on 8 or 10 fail to work?

I've got microsoft pinball arcade and it will install, it will pull the main internal in game menu up, but select a game it's like it wants to fire up, screen pops a few times like it's looking for a resolution or screen setup of some sorts, then back to the desktop.

I've tried admin mode, compatibility from Win7 back to 95, tried 16bit color, forcing 640x480, and other usual work arounds and no luck. Worse, thanks to farsights Pinball Arcade, not exactly easy to dig up info on this one or help. I went as far as downloading a warez version of it to see if they had hacked it as the lousy site mentioned windows 8 and same response there too. I'd rather not let the game go up for sale as I like the 2 70s EM tables on there a lot and the SS pair from the 80s/90s are fun too. This is a later release of it as well that Atari inked on and distributed too, not the earlier MS CD version too.
MrPopo

Re: There any known info sites to see if a hack/patch/fix ex

Post by MrPopo »

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

They have a decent database that has lots of info for fixes/tweaks for modern systems. That's the main place I've used when I've tried to get old games to work. The VOGONs forums might be good as well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Good call on the site, tried it and it had nothing about it hating Win8/10 or patches of any sort sadly. I'm thinking it may just end up being something MS decided to quietly retire since 7 and 8 have little different other than that touch interface and some fluff.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.wsgf.org/ This site also has info on games not natively supporting widescreen AR's, providing fixes or hacks if they exist.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Hmm never heard of that one, looked and it's not in their game database. I doubt most people care about it since Pinball Arcade exists, but it has 2 fun EM tables on it I like. I'm leaving it installed for now, and it will either get figured out or erased eventually.

I got a few other games that don't fill the screen that are older, maybe patches are there on that stuff between stand alone and GoG re-releases.