Best JRPGs without (much) grinding

Level up here
chuckster
32-bit

Best JRPGs without (much) grinding

Post by chuckster »

I really want to like JRPGs, honest!

I just don't like battle systems that are overly complex or grinding (I'm also no random encounter fan, but some things you have to live with).

Are there any recommendations on a good JRPG to start with that skips the excessive grinding? I'm a fan of Pokemon, Legend of the Dragoon, and FF II and III, or at least those are the ones I've put the time into playing through, even if there was a little grinding in certain parts of FF and LoD.
adosmond
24-bit

Re: Best JRPGs without (much) grinding

Post by adosmond »

Chrono Cross is a good one (and a personal favorite), you only level up after every boss battle.

An alternate solution that's not always popular or recommended is to use a cheat device.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Chrono Trigger. Zero grinding but conversely the game is pretty dang easy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

SNESdrunk wrote:Chrono Trigger. Zero grinding but conversely the game is pretty dang easy.

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is the #1 pick. Scripted battles. Just fight every one and you're fine.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, a lot of "excessive grinding" is due to the fact that so many folks use walkthroughs and whatnot while playing RPGs. Back in the days most of my grinding was done while exploring. But if you know exactly the shortest route to get from point A to point B once you reach point B you may be underleveled from not exploring the game world thoroughly.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
SNESdrunk wrote:Chrono Trigger. Zero grinding but conversely the game is pretty dang easy.

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is the #1 pick. Scripted battles. Just fight every one and you're fine.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, a lot of "excessive grinding" is due to the fact that so many folks use walkthroughs and whatnot while playing RPGs. Back in the days most of my grinding was done while exploring. But if you know exactly the shortest route to get from point A to point B once you reach point B you may be underleveled from not exploring the game world thoroughly.

This is very true. A game like Shining in the Darkness could be incredibly difficult if you use a map on-line. Make your own maps and explore the dungeons thoroughly and you will never have a problem with the bosses.

As for non-grinding JRPGs, I would recommend Panzer Dragoon Saga, as the grinding is minimal and what there is is inconsequential since the combat system is so much fun.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Grandia is the only correct answer
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I'm going to have to agree on that one, it really doesn't seem very hard from what I've played of it and it's very funny at the same time with it's quirky characters(and it's on psn so there's that too...though doesn't look like we're getting the other titles anytime soon)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

The reason grinding is such a chore is because battle systems in most RPGs are painfully boring. I think you'd be better served trying to find RPGs with fun battle systems, because then it won't feel like a grind.

Personally I liked Persona 3 - I know a lot of people hated the party members being AI controlled, but it made battles go a lot faster and allowed you to focus more on making good decisions without being overwhelmed. It's one of the few RPGs I've actually replayed multiple times, the other being Chrono Trigger.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure any RPG with "Mario" in the title is going to be very lax on grinding. Also, were the Fire Emblem games devoid on random encounters? It's been a long time since I've played Path of Radiance but I don't remember any.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

After watching Sequelitis with Castlevania 2 I'm almost inclined to say that grinding to a high level to win is barely playing a game, if it becomes so easy you don't even need to strategize (press A over and over). Just takes up time.

That was my problem with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the DS... I could just grind my characters in the infinite arenas to max level and then all the enemies are pushovers. Still a fun game though.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Phantasy Star IV. It can be a tough game (for people like me who don't normally play RPGs) but there's pretty much no grind to it.