Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Post by noiseredux »

First off, I love my tablet. I went w/ a Dell Venue Pro 8 per Fast's suggestion.

The Ipega 9023 controller that deathsled references here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48427 I picked up as well. This thing... I'm not so thrilled with. The build is so-so, but the buttons seem fine. My problem is with the bluetooth. Setting it up initially wasn't too bad. But keeping it 'recognized' has been a headache. The first night I set it up I played Escape Goat 2. After re-mapping the buttons via Steam's overlay, everything went great. The next day I fire it up and the controller won't sync. The tab just kept searching for it. So I told it to "forget" the device, and then searched for it again and got it working. Except now when I started Escape Goat 2 it just stayed at the screen saying "Press Start" button. Even though the Steam overlay (Big Pic Mode) knew that the controller was connected, the game didn't. Odd. Next day I turned it on and again, wouldn't connect. It just feels like a real pain to get the damn thing to sync.

So my thought is that what I probably want is a good controller instead of something 3rd party. And I'd want it to somehow be able to attach to the tablet. So I'm thinking like some kind of controller clip, though I don't think many of them are made to hold something bigger than a cellphone.

But something like this:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/XTCVU7 ... enue-8-pro

I don't think an Xbox One controller uses bluetooth? So then I guess I'd need to use like a really short micro-USB controller AND an OTG adapter? I mean, if I could keep the wires pretty short it wouldn't bother me too much. Though obviously a wireless solution would be ideal. I'm pretty sure that you can sync a PS3 controller to Windows via bluetooth. But honestly, I do prefer Xbox controllers.

ANYWAY, games designed solely for mouse are incredible on this thing. I've sunk a pretty ridiculous number of hours into Talisman Digital Edition on my Venue already, and it works amazingly well.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Post by TSTR »

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

There are also ways to sync Wiimotes and Wii U Pro Controllers to use, if you want Bluetooth. Last I saw, Wii U controllers were a bit more roundabout though (have to force the Toshiba Bluetooth stack in, I think).
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Xbone controller requires a wire. Any otg cable should work - I use the Samsung one for the Galaxy S3 since I already own it. Xbone works fine, but I have been using a Wiimote via Touchmotes.

I have played alot of Spleunky with it, but have the most time with Pinball Arcade and Gestureworks. Guestureworks is fairly expensive, but lets you make your own on screen controls. It is a little pokey on the Venue 8, but it works fine. Playing PA like on the Android,but with the higher resolutions is pretty amazing. Sadly the Venue gets REALLY hot, so I play it upside down.

Once I get a scroll saw, I will make a handle so the Tablet and wiimote can hang off my arcade stick.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I use a mouse and keyboard and get my Total Annihilation on. And on the plane where there wasn't enough room Shadowrun Dragonfall and Civ Beyond Earth both have good interfaces for touch.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so if I want to use my Xbox One controller and clip it on like in the pic in my first post, do you guys think I can find an OTG (micro-male to USB-female) AND a micro-male to USB-male cable that are short enough so that I won't have to have a foot of wire hanging from the tablet?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

One word - Retractable.

OTG cables are pretty standard length, but your micro usb cable could be retractable and pulled to length then affixed to the mount.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:One word - Retractable.

I seriously KNEW that there was a really simple solution that just wasn't dawning on me. :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:One word - Retractable.

I seriously KNEW that there was a really simple solution that just wasn't dawning on me. :lol:

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Edit:
How I play verts with mine:
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Noise, it sounds like you need this:
http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Smart-Clip-Xbox-One/dp/B00FLLFM0Q/

There is a PS4 version but apparently it's hard to find.

I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend the iPega? I'll probably end up doing the Nyko clip with an Xbone controller instead.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.