PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Hey all. I'm considering getting a PC-Engine, but I had some questions first regarding collecting for it, as well as questions regarding the console itself.

1. Is collecting games for it easier than collecting games for, say, a Sega Master System, in the US? That is, are the games super expensive on eBay?

2. If I buy just a PC-Engine base unit, do I need some kind of converter to plug it into a US Outlet, or will another adapter work? I.E., Sega Genesis 1 Adapter on Famicom as an example.

3. Are the CD Units region free? I believe they are, but I want to make sure.
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Post by Hobie-wan »

1. Probably about the same as far as not finding them too often in the wild unless you have an area that actually sold the Master System in better than none numbers. Games will be pricier for the PCE since they're all imports in that case and there are more desirable games that cost more.

2. The Japanese adapter will generally be ok in a US socket as long as it is well ventilated and you just plug it in when you're using it. However a Gen 1 adapter will work as well.

3. The games are region free, but the expansion cards for the different levels of CD games are not. So the System Cards will need to match the system region. There are no Arcade level system cards for US machines. Also the connector between CD units and the main system are shaped differently, so you can't just plug a J system into a US CD unit or vice versa.
marurun

Post by marurun »

To add some nuance to Hobie's statement:

Chip/Card games ARE region specific. The JPN and US games have different pin-outs, and the US games often look for a particular hardware flag. This means you will have to install a switch to switch change regions if you want to play mis-matched games. If you buy a JPN unit, you'll need to also ground a pin on the CPU to short the region check US games make.

CD games are indeed region free, but there's a catch. If you have a Duo (US or JPN) or a SuperCD unit (JPN only), you don't need a system BIOS card to play regular CD and Super CD games, but otherwise, you'll need some kind of system card to play the appropriate CD games. The system cards are cards, just like the chip/card games, and therefore you'll either need match your system region to your system card region or you'll have to rely on your region switch if there's a region mismatch. Fortunately, any Super System Card, US or JPN, will play all Super CD games. Same with the CD games and the regular CD System 2.0 card.

A little messy, but no prob.

US games are rising in price annoying quickly. You may want to stick to JPN games where language isn't an issue.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
sosoyo180
24-bit

Post by sosoyo180 »

Like most systems, the really good games are gonna cost you on eBay, but the beauty of the PC-Engine is coming through its massive library to find great cheap games.

Many of the crazy expensive games are all shooters (Magical Chase, Coryoon, Nexzr, Soldier Blade, Sylphia...) so if you're not into shooters it's not a big deal, then again you're buying a PC-Engine so you probably are.

If you're not sure which PC-Engine version to buy, definitely get a PC-Engine Duo, they'll usually run you somewhere in the $250-$300 range, but you won't need any add-ons so it's definitely worth it (unless you want the Arcade card). For me, PC-Engine collecting is just scouring Ebay for good games and waiting until one of them is cheap enough, so if you persevere and keep watching all the expensive games, you'll eventually get what you want :lol:.
marurun

Post by marurun »

One more bit of advice... If you get a CD unit (IFU briefcase) for your PC Engine, or get one as part of a bundle, you should be aware that there is a plastic gear in there that gets brittle over time. Kind of hard to fine replacements, and they aren't particularly cheap, but they can be had. The laser unit is also a weak point, but they are pretty easily replaceable and don't feel quite as overpriced as the gear.

If you get a Duo, you'll find in some ways they are a little less reliable than the older CD units. If you are paying $250 - $300, make sure the unit has had all the capacitors replaced and press for a region switch mod if you can. Other mods that are helpful are video out mods like added Svideo and Component video. The laser in a Duo will also eventually die, but probably won't be as much an issue as capacitors.

I was lucky and managed to get a "play quality" Duo (some marking on the plastic and missing the HuCard slot cover) with a capacitor replacement AND region switch (discreet, inside the HuCard slot) for like $200 over on the pcenginefx.com forums. I think user Keith Courage is currently selling some refurbished and modded classic PC Engine + CD IFU models. He's the resident hardware refurbisher. He collects them broken or in bad shape and flips them all spruced up at decent prices considering what all he does to them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Hobie-wan wrote:1. Probably about the same as far as not finding them too often in the wild unless you have an area that actually sold the Master System in better than none numbers. Games will be pricier for the PCE since they're all imports in that case and there are more desirable games that cost more.

2. The Japanese adapter will generally be ok in a US socket as long as it is well ventilated and you just plug it in when you're using it. However a Gen 1 adapter will work as well.

3. The games are region free, but the expansion cards for the different levels of CD games are not. So the System Cards will need to match the system region. There are no Arcade level system cards for US machines. Also the connector between CD units and the main system are shaped differently, so you can't just plug a J system into a US CD unit or vice versa.

On 2, you said it would be "generally ok" to plug it in, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. That being said, is it safer to use a Genesis 1 Adapter? Note that I plan to get a Core Grafx 1, as it's all I can find.
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Core Grafx replaces RF with composite.

Even the Duo didn't get RGB, frankly an absurd notion considering its price.
Lum fan.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Japanese power is 100 volts, US is around 115. So the power brick will run a bit hotter. If you're just using it for a few hours at a time, well ventilated, and not playing in a sauna it should be fine. If you left it plugged in all the time under a pile of dirty socks, you'll have a problem. I use my Japanese Duo plugged in here without a stepdown, though only a few hours at a time infrequently and I don't leave it plugged in all the time. I've had no issues.
marurun

Post by marurun »

As someone who's been there and back (Japan) a couple times, you have very little to worry about with your PC Engine power supply. Further, you can always get an after-market multi-voltage adapter to use with it. I had a PCE Core for a while and it didn't have an original power adapter. I only used a 3rd party multi-adapter.

Seriously, go to pcenginefx.com and look up Keith Courage's sale thread. Buy yourself one of his refurbished units.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah, Keith's the man over there. He'll replace the worn out middle gear in your CD unit if it happens (happened to me), he'll recap your system if you need it, etc etc.

Also, Turbokon over there sells a board to add Component video to any of the TG16/PCE hardware, I personally love it (but then it's well known I'm a fan of video mods)
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread