TATE set-up - finished! Thanks for the help!

2D Shooters Invade
beatnix
64-bit

TATE set-up - finished! Thanks for the help!

Post by beatnix »

Up and running! Thanks to everyone who supplied parts and advice. Using a nextvision n6 to convert the signal. And the monitor is custom modded to rotate. bought a .98 box of wood screws and 4 inch lazy Susan ball bearing turntable for 3.49 at Menards. A little bit of drilling and scrap wood added to the mix and I now have a fully Ro-TATE-able monitor. It also still tilts up and down. Pretty pleased with the outcome.

Everything below here is from the original post... It's all been addressed already in the following posts. Just updating progress with the above pics.

I've searched around a bit trying to find some info on setting up a TATE screen. I understand how it all works I think, my question is more specific to my monitor.

I have an older dell 19 inch 5:4 LCD with a VGA input.

Display type: LCD / TFT active matrix
Native res: 1280x1024 at 75.0 Hz
Pixel pitch: .294 mm
Bright: 250.0 cd/m2
Contrast ratio 500:1
Color support: 16.7 million colors
Response time: 16 ms
Vertical refresh rate: 75Hz
Horizontal refresh rate: 80Hz
Interface: 1.0 VGa - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

Is this screen worth using for this? I like it because with a few pieces of hardware, I think I can modify the existing stand to rotate AND most importantly, I already own it.

My real question is what is the best way to convert the signal from my system (at the moment I plan on it being my saturn to play donpachi) to the monitor? I have seen a number of rca/s video in to vga out converter boxes. And a lot can be picked up for around 20.00. Are these things any good at converting the signal?

Thanks

Here is a link to what I'm talking about.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesal ... MwodgzYAKQ
Last edited by beatnix on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: TATE set-up question

Post by noiseredux »

beatnix wrote:My real question is what is the best way to convert the signal from my system (at the moment I plan on it being my saturn to play donpachi) to the monitor? I have seen a number of rca/s video in to vga out converter boxes. And a lot can be picked up for around 20.00. Are these things any good at converting the signal?

I adore the Nextvision N6. Takes all kinds of inputs and outputs to VGA beautifully. It's not as easy to find lately, but mjmjr25 was selling his a while ago at a steal. You might want to inquire if he still has one.
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

That looks pricey... I'm going for cheap if I can help it, with out sacrificing too much quality. I'd only use component or s-video inputs most likely, so the multiple inputs would be over kill.

This is my entry level attempt at a TATE setup, and as such I'm trying to keep it simple and with parts from home as much as possible.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

understood.

I've used many of those stand-alone VGA converters over the years for GameCube, PS2, PSP and so on. Really a waste of $. Buying those at $20 a pop will add up and give you worse quality than if you got an N6 which is a solid piece of hardware with lots of resolution options. With the N6, you've got one box that you can plug ANYTHING into no matter what kind of output (composite, component, RF). And if Mike still has his, I believe he had been trying to get $35 + shipping, which is like 1/2 to 1/3rd what they tend to go for on eBay.

tl;dr: I know. I tried to do it cheapest too. But you get what you pay for when it comes to those little VGA boxes.
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

Oh... That's cheaper than I was expecting. I saw some quite a bit higher than that.

And that was my concern about those little boxes. Cheap Chinese mass produced electronics don't always instill confidence. That is exactly the kind of personal experience I was hoping someone would give. Thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah, my N6 cost me like $75 and I think recently I've seen them even higher so if Mike still has his I'd see if you can work something out.

But definitely those various no-name boxes are hit or miss. I had one that caused terribly thick vertical lines on GameCube because it forced stretch that you couldn't fix. I had another than ran super hot to the point I'd have to unplug it all the time. Things like that. Others don't always support resolutions you want. That's why I recommend the N6 to anyone looking to get multiple older consoles onto VGA. It supports a lot of resolutions, it has lots of menu settings you can tinker with, and like I said it takes EVERYTHING I threw at it with no fuss. It's really like having a nice AV tuner for your monitor.

I haven't even plugged mine in in nearly a year, but it's one piece of kit I find so useful that I can't see myself every getting rid of it "just in case."
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

Ha! I have a giant box full of cords, switches, and the like that haven't been used for years. But, I might need them for something someday! I doubt there are many people on RB that don't understand that situation. I'm my family's go to guy for getting electronics working precisely because of my box full o' stuff.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

beatnix wrote:Ha! I have a giant box full of cords, switches, and the like that haven't been used for years. But, I might need them for something someday! I doubt there are many people on RB that don't understand that situation. I'm my family's go to guy for getting electronics working precisely because of my box full o' stuff.

I have a 5-drawer dresser filled with the same. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but every time someone (including myself) needs some random wire or adapter and I'm able to find it in there, it makes my day.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Unless it's gotta be the Saturn, have you considered picking up an old PC with super easy vga-ness and playing Donpachi through MAME?
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

It doesn't have to be a saturn but I want a TATE set-up for my actual consoles. However, I own a jap saturn and donpachi is in the mail heading my way and that is what has inspired the question in the first place.

And I'm not very big on emulations. I've got an oXbox that is modded and I don't see me going any further than that, unless it's to re-mod the xbox, cause it's not exactly what I want.