Your retro-gaming goals and resolutions for 2014

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Your retro-gaming goals and resolutions for 2014

Post by marurun »

Alright, folks, time to spill the beans on your 2014 plans for retro-gaming. I don't care about your PS4 and XBone. I'm interested in what 2014 will do to your classic fix. Are you trying to fill out a particular genre, platform, or series? Do you resolve to finally beat that game you've been putting off or wrestling with? Is it finally time to drop some of your extraneous systems to focus on your one true love?

Share your plans. I'm here for you.

Me, I'm going to deepen my Turbo/PCE game selection a little and maybe beat a couple niggling titles that have been plaguing me. I'm still debating if it's finally time to revisit Phantasy Star II and actually beat it this time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Your retro-gaming goals and resolutions for 2014

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

- Beat a large number of games. Typically, I get bogged down with certain overly-long RPGs or I give up on tough games too easily. But this year I want to buckle down and finish some retro classics. I have a bunch of compilation discs (Sega, Tecmo, Taito, Capcom, Konami, Activision, etc) so I'll probably start by attacking those.
- Participate in Together Retro, Together RPG, and Shmup of the Month. A large number of the "group plays" we have for 2014 are great - I plan to participate in at least 50% of them.
- Collection-wise I simply want to pick away at my Want List. Specifically I'd like to get closer to having a complete set of North American SNES RPGs.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

finally give up retrogaming, sell collection, focus on PS4 and XBone
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

dsheinem wrote:finally give up retrogaming, sell collection, focus on PS4 and XBone

Same goal but easier said than done!! :)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Dakinggamer87 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:finally give up retrogaming, sell collection, focus on PS4 and XBone

Same goal but easier said than done!! :)

:roll:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
ToKeN
128-bit

Post by ToKeN »

I thought of doing that once but damn the feeling is like giving up a part of my body.....i just can't do it. :-|
*SEGA NOMAD*SEGA32X*SEGA GENESIS MODEL 1 & 2*SEGACD MODEL 1 & 2*SEGA SATURN(JP & US)*SNES*N64 X2*3DO FZ-1 X2*3DO FZ-10*GOLDSTAR 3DO*SMS PAL MODEL2*NINTENDO GAMECUBE*PS1(MODDED)(1PAL & 2US)*PSONE W/LCD X2*PS2(FAT)X2*SEGA DREAMCAST X5(3US/1PAL/1JP)*SEGA GAME GEAR*XBOX*NES*LYNX*WII*MAGNAVOX-CD-i*NEO-GEO"AES"*PHILLIPS SCUBA VR GOGGLES*XBOX 360 ELITE*
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

- Finish PS3 collection, need like 30-40 more games. :| (probably prune my collection a bit)

- Play more of my PS3 backlog.

- Had a chance to buy Earthbound for $110, passed on it. (one of the big games i need to round out my SNES Essential collection)

- Buy a Wii U, or upgrade Mobo/CPU, havent decided yet.
Currently have a i5-2400 (Sandy Bridge), and a ASRock Z68 Extreme3, upgrading to i5-4670K (Haswell), and ASRock Z87 Extreme4.

- Get an original GBA modded with a backlight.

- Waiting till 2015 or a redesign for PS4, my PC is my next gen gaming rig, hence why i want a Wii U this year instead of a PS4)
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

Well my normal resolutions actually involved starting to sell some of my duplicates on Ebay to rake in some cash for Seattle's yard sale "season" or summer/early fall time. Sometimes spring around here is ok...but it tends to be too rainy for a lot of good sales.

I really need to rake in a lot because I have a sinking feeling that i'm going to have some trouble finding games at cheap prices, if I find any old games at all. It's easier to find Xbox and PS2 era games but i'm not interested in them (well some PS2 games I am interested in). Around here there are not a lot of retro gamers or if they are retro gamers, no way in hell are they going to sell you anything, or they want an arm and a leg for something. So i'm going to need a lot of money because I might end up just buying stuff on Ebay...i'm tired of haggling with assholes who think their beat up shitty games are gold and i'm tired of getting to a sale to late to only have someone say "Oh I just sold that".

*sigh* It's enough to make one want to give up collecting.

Besides making money I do have some other goals for this year.

1. Try to amass a much larger collection (at least double what I have now)
2. Really focus on my Dreamcast collection
3. Try to get a Sega CD (I have the 32x, I might as well complete my Genesis)
4. Get some nice Ikea storage for my Computer room
5. Try to work on turning my Computer room into a game room
6. Try my hand at modifying universal game cases
7. Find a good DS flash cart
8. Figure out a better way to store PS3 collection
9. Fix my god damn Sega Game Gear
10. Play more games on consoles
11. Buy Earthbound
12. Try to make a MAME cab with Dad
Last edited by GirlGamer55 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

1. Finish my huge SNES backlog of RPGs
2. Start my MASSIVE PS1 collection, including replaying FF7, FF8, FF9, and Legend of Legaia, among many, many others.
3. Stop buying games.
4. STOP BUYING GAMES.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

If we count PS3, 360 and Wii then that'll probably be whatever retro gaming I do this year. I want to check out some fun stuff I missed last year like Brothers A Tale of Two Sons, Beyond Two Souls, and The Swapper and finish whatever games I started last year and didn't finish. I'll probably also try Bioshock Infinite since Sony is throwing it at me for free this month. 2013 had a hell of a lot of notable releases and PS+ is making it easier for me to try them

I also am interested in FF X HD and FF X-2 HD, whenever those come out. Those are technically older games. Am I'm getting back to playing Persona 4 Golden at some point, which is really a PS2 game with some new bells and whistles

I honestly don't do much true retro gaming anymore. I really should

Collecting-wise, I really want to get a copy of Lollipop Chainsaw Valentine Edition, and there's still my insane, long term goal of collecting as many CIB Super Nintendo games as possible. Would like to buy an Atari 2600 this year too and get back that lost part of my youth, maybe a black and white Gameboy too
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.