Best PC shmups on Steam

2D Shooters Invade
marurun

Best PC shmups on Steam

Post by marurun »

Anyone familiar with Steams shmups library? I see titles occasionally, but I don't know which ones are worth spending the dough. If anyone in here has any personal experience with Steam and shmups, please share.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Best PC shmups on Steam

Post by TSTR »

There's some pretty good shmups to be found on Steam. I can recommend checking out the Gundemonium games, the eXceed trilogy, Satazius, Jamestown, and Ether Vapor Remaster from my experiences.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jamestown is great.

I just bought the eXceed Collection - I'll let you know.

Gundamonium games are hard as nails. I've never been so thrilled to beat the boss of a first level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIOiHoqqYIk
littlenando

Post by littlenando »

Definitely, Jamestown.
I've heard hardcore gamers complain it might be too easy.
But still, one helluva game.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Didn't even know there were any on there besides Jamestown. Will have to get them.

eXceed 3rd is fun. Not a big fan of the first two. One of them is very Ikaruga.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

Bit of a bump. Came across this while searching. Steam is starting to get a decent amount of shmups.

So far I've gotten:
Ether Vapor Remaster - This one is pretty decent. Think PS1 era 3D shooter
Exceed series - The first one is ok, the second is like Ikaruga but I don't care for it, and the third one is the best by far.
Gundead, Gundemonium, Hitogata - These I haven't spent too much time with yet
Jamestown - One of the first shmups on steam and a good one too
Satazius - A pretty good Gradius clone. If you like that style with multiple weapons that increase in strength and maze like levels you'll dig this
Sine Mora - Kind of funky. Very pretty to look at but can be frustrating

Theres more coming out soon too like Ikaruga and the Alltynex series. Nyu media is on fire at the moment and I hope more of their games get released on steam. I'm waiting for stuff like Steel Strider, Gigantic Army, and Armed Seven to get released but so far I haven't heard anything.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

A heads up for anyone interested in Jamestown the game is in the humble bundles weekly bundle sale.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Wait, Ikaruga is coming to PC? Might have to give it another run!
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Wait, Ikaruga is coming to PC? Might have to give it another run!

Yea it recently was Greenlit but I haven't seen a release date announced. Everyone is hoping it will sell well and Treasure will release more games through Steam.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Jamestown is exceptional. Mechanics, levels, scoring, ship selection, and soundtrack.

Hittogatta Happa is fun, steep learning curve w/the dolls, nice scoring design. The best and most difficult of the Gundemonium games. The other 2 are very similar and not nearly as tough. Hitboxes seem wildly erratic. 1ups are too frequent and in-game sound is irritating (menu music is nice).

Those are the only ones i've played. Have seen vids of Ether Vapor and Satazius. Both look like PC fare to me, not a ton of depth or replay value, imo.

I'll continue to rave (a few years after the fact, i know) about the quality and depth of Jamestown. It easily could have been a successful console release.