Like Gauntlet? You'll like Hammerwatch then!

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
opt2not

Like Gauntlet? You'll like Hammerwatch then!

Post by opt2not »

Sorry if this was already posted.

I just picked up this game, and am having a hard time putting it down! I was a big fan of Gauntlet BITD, so this is right up my alley!

http://www.hammerwatch.com/

http://youtu.be/n9aGEzxogqY

Plays excellent, and even has some CRT mimicking graphic filters like curved screen and scanlines.
$8 is totally worth it. :)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Like Gauntlet? You'll like Hammerwatch then!

Post by fastbilly1 »

Adding it to my watch list. It looks awesome.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Just purchased it directly from their website since you get a Steam key, soundtrack, and DRM-Free version for $8.00.

I look forward to trying it out tonight. :)
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

What are the controls like? Can I play it with just a stick?
RetroGam3r
16-bit

Post by RetroGam3r »

I recently got this, I am enjoying it and like the fact I can use my controller! Need to try co-op to see it in its full glory I suspect.
Twitter:RetroGam3r
PSN:JIM-N-A
3DS:1392-5016-6947
Steam:RetroGam3r
RetroGam3r
16-bit

Post by RetroGam3r »

Ok So I put this on not long after posting, Yep just finished playing that "little" session. The game has grabbed me and now turned into a huge loot collecting, hole in the wall finding, bug killing frenzy!

I found the first half hour boring somewhat but after a while and you learn the lay of the land, It all opens up and you realise just how clever this game is. Found out you can kill alot of enemies by just shooting them off screen but it never felt cheap. Im rocking the archer dude and havent tried anyone else yet. Really want to try out the co op as I bet its brilliant.
Twitter:RetroGam3r
PSN:JIM-N-A
3DS:1392-5016-6947
Steam:RetroGam3r
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have now beat this a couple times, but since it keeps popping up on deals I thought I should say some stream of consciousness about it.

Hammerwatch is a soso game in singleplayer. Unlike Gauntlet Legends where you can play singleplayer and still enjoy it, Hammerwatch is like Gauntlet 1 where it is just a nightmare. It is still beatable but just not that fun. Hammerwatch in multiplayer is infinitely better. I last beat it with Ack, his brother Goji, and our mutual friend xen, and we beat it in two sittings in about eight (8) hours. I will add that we play with one crutch of infinite lives - since it is a Gauntlet-like, I do not view it as cheating.

So if you enjoy old school Gauntlet, you will enjoy this. There are four main stages, broken up to multiple levels each. Each level has dozens of hidden areas and items. You have a handful of classes and each patch makes them slightly better (on launch you could not move and shoot as the ranger, now the ranger can play it like a bullet hell shooter). I have beaten the game using both the keyboard and an arcade stick, a controller is recommended for the game, keyboard controls are functional but not great. I only dislike four things about the game:
1. The HUD is gigantic, solid, and blocks the lower part of the screen, so going south is treacherous sometimes.
2. No on screen indicators of where your partners are (there is a map but a pointer would be nice).
3. No way to fast travel to an exit if your teammates are already there. Lending to a lot of downtime if you are searching for hidden planks.
4. If you do not get enough of the hidden planks, you cannot "win" the game, and there is no indication of how many planks are hidden or are needed.

Overall it is a great game, and there is a second campaign coming.