Ouya, Raspberry Pi or both?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Anapan
Next-Gen

Ouya, Raspberry Pi or both?

Post by Anapan »

They've both been out for enough time to have consumers test them out. Can anyone who owns both vouch for either of them as being better than the other as far as current developments in their videogame library are concerned?
Is anyone having fun with them?
How do they play (legal homebrew) SNES ROMs?
Mame ROMs?
Should I just buy them both since it's only a matter of time before X-COM and Ur-Quan Masters gets ported to both of them like it did with my GP2X Wiz and Pandora?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BRIK
Next-Gen

Re: Ouya, Raspberry Pi or both?

Post by BRIK »

I don't own either but the Ouya sounds like the standard choice when it comes to playing games. It's already fully fitted out for gaming (OS, external case, controller etc) while the Pi is just a beginning, you would have to do all that leg work yourself.
Last edited by BRIK on Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the Ouya is more powerful hardware. That might play into your calculations.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

My understanding is that the Pi can only play some 80s arcade games, while the Ouya can play almost all 80s and some 90s. Ouya can also do PSX and N64 (to some degree). I was all for the Pi, until the Ouya was proven to not be a scam. Now the Ouya seems to just be the better platform for a turnkey solution.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

The Pi can do Neo Geo. I plan to get one and turn it into a Neo Geo Emu machine
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

D) neither
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

TheRev wrote:The Pi can do Neo Geo. I plan to get one and turn it into a Neo Geo Emu machine

So does the Ouya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQaUNDhSOA

I know a couple folks who sold their Neogeo X handhelds and kept the base station and sticks and are planning on adding a Pi or Ouya in the base station to maek a better version of the console.
marurun

Post by marurun »

fastbilly1 wrote:I know a couple folks who sold their Neogeo X handhelds and kept the base station and sticks and are planning on adding a Pi or Ouya in the base station to maek a better version of the console.

Now that actually sounds like a worthy project. Tres cool.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I've really grown to like my Ouya. Certainly rough around the edges, but if you're looking for a micro-console, it's probably the best choice at this point.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

I haven't personally played either. But since Ouya has come out, I've heard nothing but bad things about it.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter