Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Overload
128-bit

Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld

Post by Overload »

I stumbled upon this about 5 mins ago and was unable to find a single console on amazon or ebay. Does anyone know how much these go for? I'd like to add one to my collection eventually.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Mega Duck/Cougar Boy Handheld

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

No idea. Looks like one of those cheap Chinese systems. It probably sucks, but would be a nice collectible!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Everything I know about Mega Duck I learned from UCD.
Link
Overload
128-bit

Post by Overload »

Helpful site is helpful. Doesn't seem to be too pricey, though it is rare. Tons of other neat handhelds I never knew about either. Thanks!
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I just bought one of these with a handful of games. Won't get it until December but I'll post a review here for you...even though I'm sure TC secured his own Mega Duck long ago. They do seem fairly hard to come by.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Stuart Ashens did a review of one of these if you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSqVTUmbR0

He also did some other Game Boy knock-offs you might find interesting:

Quickshot Supervision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMlcz6SoS4

Gamate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsKG-pewM0

As for finding a Mega Duck/Cougar Boy you're just going to have to get lucky. They're weird and obscure and I'm betting most of them have been thrown out.

One sold on eBay yesterday with four games for $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Duck-Couga ... SwiwVWRdaD

And in October with four games for $59 from the same seller in the Netherlands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Duck-Couga ... Sw0HVWD9vJ

So ultimately it goes for what whoever wants it is willing to pay for it since it's more of a curiosity than a frequently sought collectable.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
One sold on eBay yesterday with four games for $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Duck-Couga ... SwiwVWRdaD

I certainly don't know what kind of person would watch an Ashens video then make that outlandish purchase on a whim (cough). :wink:

Interesting to hear Ashens talk about some kind of external joystick peripheral for two player games. That would be interesting to see, however I suspect it's probably a thing that only exists in the pages of the instruction manual, much like those carts that are supposed to fit into the Game Theory Admiral.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Got my duck and seven games to start off with:

The device is a nice solid thing to play with. Feels very much like the original game boy. The screen is okay, visibility-wise and there is an adjustable contrast slider on one side.

The games on the 4 in 1 cart are a Galaga clone with faintly Kirby-esque enemies. A tank maze style shooter that feels like a clone of another game I can't remember the title of, a columns clone that uses numbered blocks and some kind of dice puzzle game that I can't figure out. I also got Street Rider which is a similar game to the tank shooter and 'The brick wall' which I assumed would be a breakout clone but seems to be more of a defend and rebuild your base sort of thing...again I can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to do in it.
Railway, is a time based puzzle game where you are given pieces and have to link up point a to point b before the time elapses and the train starts running.
The dpad isn't as awful as it looks as most of the games use four way directions it almost makes sense to have this restricted movement, similar to using the cross ring on the NGPC's stick.

Disappointed that Backloggery only lets you log games for the 'Cougar Boy' variant. Mega Duck is the original device as far as I know and the better name. :)

Games seem hard to find for this though. Would anyone like to sell me some?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I can't see your picture, Betagam7.

Edit: Nevermind, a moment after I posted that, the picture showed up.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Added a few more to my collection today, including a bunch of manuals (all of them in Dutch sadly).

Puppet Knight is a decent Bomberman clone
Arctic Zone is a clone of one of those annoying fill the wall with blocks to make it disappear puzzlers.
Beast Fighter is a side scrolling giant monster game.
Duck Adventure seems to be the systems attempt at introducing a mascot (The same cape wearing duck appears on the title screen for the 4-1 cart and flies overhead as the mothership in Virus Attack.) The game is a sort of a cross between Lode Runner and Rodland and actually isn't too bad.
Captain Knick Knack however was the real highlight. It's a proper top down shooter similar in look to Twinbee. It has powerups, real varied enemy patterns, a shield type smartbomb and bosses. Considering it is by Sachen I'm really surprised by its quality.

The other cart is a duplicate of the 4-1 game I already have. Don't suppose anyone wants to trade? :lol: