Sixth Gen Multi-plat Platformers

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Sixth Gen Multi-plat Platformers

Post by pierrot »

Just curious if there's any clear winner with regard to the multi-platform games, between the GCN, PS2 and oXbox. If it's just a wash, or if one typically fairs better than the others, then that would save a lot of time, but I'm particularly curious about which console to pick up the following games for:

Tak series
Ty series
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Rayman 3
Vexx
Super Monkey Ball (Is there any reason to get 1+2 on the GC instead of Deluxe on the PS2/Xbox?)

I realize that not all of those are exactly platformers, per se. Anything else good that I forgot, though? (I already have I-ninja, Sonic Heroes and Dr Muto)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Sixth Gen Multi-plat Platformers

Post by alienjesus »

This might be personal favouritism, but the control stick on the Gamecube seems far more accurate and responsive for Monkey Ball than either the XBox or PS2 sticks. I'm under the impression that Sphinx is slightly better on Gamecube too. I honestly couldn't give an opinion on the others, although generally XBox or Gamecube is superior to PS2 in most cases from what I understand.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Super Monkey Ball definitely plays best on the Gamecube.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

For multi-plat platformers, GCN wins. Everything Sega made runs better on GCN than the other two, and Rayman 3 runs best there too.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Psychonauts is available for OXBOX, PS2, and Windows (and now on Mac, Steam, GOG, XBA, PSN, humble Indie Bundle, and every other download service under the sun). As far as I can tell, this platformer plays the same regardless of platform. I do recommend a real controller; playing with a keyboard is awkward.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

samsonlonghair wrote:Psychonauts is available for OXBOX, PS2, and Windows (and now on Mac, Steam, GOG, XBA, PSN, humble Indie Bundle, and every other download service under the sun). As far as I can tell, this platformer plays the same regardless of platform. I do recommend a real controller; playing with a keyboard is awkward.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have this for Mac. I can't seem to figure out how to set up a controller with it, though.

Thanks for the input on the other games, guys. I would have thought that the PS2 or Xbox might have had an edge in terms of technical performance for more of these titles. Unfortunate that I might have to pay Nintendo tax if I pick up some of these from the market.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

pierrot wrote:Super Monkey Ball (Is there any reason to get 1+2 on the GC instead of Deluxe on the PS2/Xbox?)

As others stated, the Gamecube version has better controls. For some reason the analog sticks on the PS2 version just don't control the ball movemnent as precisely. However there is an alternative control method on the PS2, a Trakball!

In the Super Monkey Ball Thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&p=528812#p528812
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

samsonlonghair wrote:Psychonauts is available for OXBOX, PS2, and Windows (and now on Mac, Steam, GOG, XBA, PSN, humble Indie Bundle, and every other download service under the sun). As far as I can tell, this platformer plays the same regardless of platform. I do recommend a real controller; playing with a keyboard is awkward.

The PS2 version has some framerate issues, making it the worst port of the game. The Xbox and Windows versions both play fine, but as samson said you'll want to play with a real controller somehow or other.
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

I'm over halfway through the PS2 version at the moment, and as brilliant as the game can get, I can't help but wish it'd gotten a GCN port. I'd envision that pad doing the title so many favours.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

CRTGAMER wrote:
pierrot wrote:Super Monkey Ball (Is there any reason to get 1+2 on the GC instead of Deluxe on the PS2/Xbox?)

As others stated, the Gamecube version has better controls. For some reason the analog sticks on the PS2 version just don't control the ball movemnent as precisely. However there is an alternative control method on the PS2, a Trakball!

In the Super Monkey Ball Thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&p=528812#p528812

A trackball sounds like it'd fit monkey ball well, but I imagine that'd be even less precise than the ps2 stick!

The arcade version used a flight-style analog stick shaped like a banana. If it was designed around using a trackball, that's probably what would've been on the arcade cab. From everything described in your post, that game definitely isn't built for trackball and really there's little point to trying to use it outside of the (admittedly neat) novelty.