7th Saga can bite my ass

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

7th Saga can bite my ass

Post by marurun »

Tried breaking this one out of the vault and BOY am I regretting it... I've barely started the game and I've had to level up like mad. Not only that but I've had my ass handed to me on enough occasions that I'm not sure if I have the cajones to beat, or even survive a portion of, this game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

That is a hard, hard game. Hard core, too, in that it's pretty sparse and you're stuck leveling up for hours fighting the same two or three enemies in an area over and over and over.

I had this game and never beat it but got pretty far. I remember that I really liked the atmosphere of the game at the time. It felt desolate, and gave you that feeling of going on a long, lonely trek. Good music, too.

I remember this game being about the time that I decided Square was really pulling ahead of Enix. 7S felt kind of simple compared to the FF stuff at the time.

Weird thing that sticks out in my mind: You can play this game one-handed! L and Select cancel and confirm. I thought that was so cool back in the day... Man I was easily amused.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: 7th Saga can bite my ass

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay, a few things.

- Chose the right character. For beginners I suggest picking Kamil and then Valsu as a partner. Valsu becomes immortal late-game but sucks ass early on, so don't flip this order. Other characters are tricky for beginners; Olvan is pretty similar to Kamil but slower. Lejes should never be picked, as he's a total soyboy and the easiest apprentice to (potentially) battle later in the game.
- Alternate defend and attack. You need to defend to "charge" attacks. Mashing the attack command leads to instant death.
- The power-leveling isn't too egregious. Just make sure you can afford all current equipment before you leave each town. Don't bother with the "banking" jewels. Just save often and reset if you get cucked.
- Make frequent use of the runes and stat boosting items. There's no way through the game otherwise.

Do not give up. This game rules. RULES.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

I liked the game a lot. Been a very long time since I played it but I remember it had a fair amount of twists and turns as to how things developed. Not for all tastes but we all have different things we like in video games.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Ack

Post by Ack »

Jake Armitage wrote:I liked the game a lot. Been a very long time since I played it but I remember it had a fair amount of twists and turns as to how things developed. Not for all tastes but we all have different things we like in video games.

Bone, we have found a brother-in-arms.
marurun

Post by marurun »

This game went out of my collection years ago. I have so little time to play games and so many I want to play, this one isn't even on my radar any more.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Kinda bummed. You made a post and I thought you might want a little assistance and now you turn around and dump the game. Sad times dude.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Kinda bummed. You made a post and I thought you might want a little assistance and now you turn around and dump the game. Sad times dude.

To be fair, the original post was over 11 years ago :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Kinda bummed. You made a post and I thought you might want a little assistance and now you turn around and dump the game. Sad times dude.

Where were you when I needed you in 2007, huh?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Bone, this might be the single greatest necro-bump I've ever seen. With the subtle garnishes of "soyboy," and "cucked"--mwah! I will be toasting you tonight.

Seriously, how did you even dig this up? Were you just searching the forums for "7th Saga"?