Copyright Issues

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Copyright Issues

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Would you get into copyrighted issue ifyou created a game that play similiar to both mega man and mario.

EX: you run and shoot and jump kinda like a mega man game.
You jump on platform similiar in ideas like mario.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

Xonticus
128-bit

Re: Copyright Issues

Post by Xonticus »

I think you would only be in obvious trouble if you actually re-used some of their created works/sprites/game engine.

If you created everything 100% independent from their source material, you should be fine. If you want to "borrow" something of theirs, you'd be pretty safe if you weren't going to sell the final product, or you got written consent from said creators.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Nullface
24-bit

Post by Nullface »

As long as you don't make a massive profit from it.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

okay just to clarify some more details. There will be no sprites copy from mario or megaman. The character looks totally differnet than megaman but they are in a robot suit. Also the he will be shooting lazer beams out of his chest like Iron Man. But main concept is is you run through levels similiar but not exactly design like mario.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

You wont run into issues for borrowing elements from games.

Games like Giana Sisters ran into issues because it copied big chunks of level design and graphics which were close to identical to SMB.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

You should be fine.

I mean its not the same in any other way than its a platformer. Mario doesn't hold a patent on that kind of game.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

not to change the subject too much, but if we talk about characters, think about a super hero

Superman
Sentry
Captain Marvel
Prime
Mr Incredible

same variations on a theme! i think the word is ersatz

If your characters name or action is blatantly similar to the source character, then you may be in trouble.

its possbile to be similar to a source, but you have a chance to make some differences to make it wholly unique!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Unless there's more details that you haven't mentioned I see no way that it could be a problem. There's countless scrolling platform games where you run, jump, and shoot.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Only if you blatantly steal data (level, graphic, sound or otherwise bit-for-bit or identifiably close to a trademarked symbol). Even if you do steal stuff you'd only run into a problem if the copyright/trademark holder decides you might make money off of their intellectual properly (IE your product is looking really good - not just some SWF/Klik&Play/BlitzBasic mess). Having attempted to blatantly steal large parts of a game, and even make a derivative title graphic (I stated clearly that I never wanted to make money) I never had a problem despite my site being posted several times to Konami's public message board (Sadly...). Over the 2.5 years spent on the project with several revisions I was never once contacted by Konami. I noticed Square (or Square-Enix now...) is a bit more tight on their property - shutting down some good fan projects. There are however several Mario and Megaman fan-games that are quite well done, playable, and in progress or finished(!) that have never seen any legal trouble ("Mario Forever", "Super Mario War" & "Rockman 7&8 FC", "Megaman NewHorizon" come to mind as well as several fun Mugen games for both franchises). Apparently Capcom and Nintendo are A-OK with you making copyright-infringing derivative works until you actually start selling them for a substantial profit (this has never happened except for crappy or well-made and therefore camouflage pirate carts sold from Chinese/Korean/Brazillian public markets - successfully and openly without problems AFAIK. In any case you will likely not have anything to worry about.

I'm looking forward to your game - Keep us posted!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage