What are the best retro gaming remakes?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
J T
Next-Gen

What are the best retro gaming remakes?

Post by J T »

I just bought The Secret of Monkey Island. It's really a nice remake of the original. I particularly like that if you hit the F10 key, then it transitions between the old school graphics and sound and the new revamped game. You can easily compare where they've made improvements or switch back to the retro feel whenever you want.

I like the idea of retro remakes, but I haven't played very many. I think my next retro remake purchase will be Bionic Commando: Rearmed (PC), but I'm hoping it will come down $5 or $10 dollars. What are some of your favorites that you would recommend?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: What are the best retro gaming remakes?

Post by Hatta »

Try the free fan remake of Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire. It's still kinda retro, since the graphics are on par with the official VGA remakes Sierra did for some of its early games. Still, it's a really good game, and really well done.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

There's lots of those, these are my favorites right now.

Pacman Championship Edition - 360
Another World: Collector's Edition - PC
Lode Runner Online: Mad Monk's Revenge - PC
Galaga Legions - 360
Zelda Classic - PC
Thexder 95 - PC
Plasma Pong - PC
The Ur-Quan Masters - PC

'Course there's all the Console and handheld ones I could list too (Super Mario All-Stars etc)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
HappehLemons
32-bit

Post by HappehLemons »

Kings Quest 1-3 were remade, they graphics are up to par with KQ6. They were all very well done.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I really enjoyed the retro remakes of Secret of Monkey Island: SE and Pac-Man Championship Edition on XBLA... 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

The Sega Ages remake of Fantasy Zone is decent.
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

Post by TheyCallMeTheSwede »

Right now, I trying to save up on R-Type Dimensions, I really enjoyed the demo they have out but the game was too expensive for my taste.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I was going to mention Pacman CE and lode runner but I think those are more sequels than remakes.

I'm dissapointed in the way the turtles in time remake is looking. Honestly the 3D doesn't look that great at all. It would have been much cooler if they had done HD handdrawn graphics that make it look like it's straight out of a comic book.
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

Jrecee wrote:I was going to mention Pacman CE and lode runner but I think those are more sequels than remakes.

I'm dissapointed in the way the turtles in time remake is looking. Honestly the 3D doesn't look that great at all. It would have been much cooler if they had done HD handdrawn graphics that make it look like it's straight out of a comic book.

Not to mention the fact that Turtles in Time is gonna cost way too much
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Hey Anapan, I didn't know there was a Thexder remake. I've been playing that on my IIgs, and it's awesome. If anyone hasn't heard of it, it's the first game in the Silpheed universe, one of the best shooters on the Sega CD. One of the great early arcade style run and guns for the PC. Hard as hell too, don't miss it!
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!