Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Post by noiseredux »

ah interesting. I guess to a degree we're looking for "mouse only" games, huh?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Twilight Struggle is an intense mindgame, I am curious to how it will work vs Ai.

Playing touch screen only: I usually stick to games like Talisman and Ticket to Ride. Which is all well and good - one can get many years of play out of Talisman, but there is an easy workaround to open more games. A couple years ago I was gifted a copy of GestureWorks on Steam and that allows me to create touch screen controllers for games. Using Gestureworks I can play FTL and Pinball Arcade with no real issue. Sure setting up new controls is a bit of a pain, but it is not too hard to overcome.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

noiseredux wrote:have y'all heard of Twilight Struggle?

This also got me thinking - let's talk about PC games that are perfect for tablets. Meaning, games that you don't need a controller. And probably keyboards are minimal as well.

Assuming the tablet can run 32-bit games no problem, Rollercoaster Tycoon would be perfect. You only need a mouse (or finger I guess) not a keyboard or controller. Plus the game uses VERY little system resources due to the way it was programmed. This one shouldn't drain your battery at all.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

good call.

I'm trying to decide on a new Win10 tablet. I want something running 10 pre-installed. And I'm aiming for sub-$200 range since I really can't think of anything I'll want to play on it that would push it to need more than an Atom/etc.

I'm thinking about the Insignia Flex 8.9" model. It's quad-core, 2GB RAM and has 32GB internal to start. My only reservation is I'm not sure I want that extra .9" or not. I'm kind of used to tablets being about 8". But at the same time, maybe the slightly bigger size would be nice for gaming anyway.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think you can handle that extra 0.9". Just take it slow.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Crown And Council

http://store.steampowered.com/app/444250/

Originally a jam game, Crown and Council is a casual strategy game of geopolitical drama. Conquer, expand, build and develop your kingdom, until all your foes are crushed!

Crown and Council relied on procedural generation for the 75 included maps. The generator is built into the game, and you can generate new maps on the fly.

Published by Mojang
Price = Free
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I did end up getting that Insignia Flex I mentioned:

8.9" 1920 x 1200
Intel Atom quadcore z3740 1.33-1.83 GHz
32 GB internal storage w/ microSDXC support up to 128GB
2GB DDR3L
micro HDMI out

Seems plenty capable!

Do any of you have Win10 on your tabs as well? I'm not sure if the lock screen thing is different than Win8. Here's my question - I went into netplzwiz and shut off the need for a password when you turn the tablet on. However, it still asks me for a password if I shut the screen off because that brings it to a lock screen. I don't want it to ask me for a password every time I turn the screen back on. How can I totally disable this?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've never looked into disabling password entirely. In the settings app you can set a lockscreen pin, which is the convenient way to unlock without a keyboard.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh good call. I'll check the Settings. Yeah, even a pin would be easier/quicker than typing a full psswd. Thanks!

I might test out Banner Saga 2 on this thing tonight...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I ended up swapping my Nvidia Shield tablet for a 10" Acer Windows 10 tablet w/ 2GB RAM. It also has a keyboard dock. So... this is a pretty great way to play old games. It's an easy GOG machine when the keyboard is connected. I've tested a few tablet-style games like The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Duelyst. Works great. Warlock actually says it requires 4GB RAM, but I played it on the lowest visual settings and it was fine.

The Shield tablet is awesome. My vote for best Android gaming tablet out there. But whereas there are just far more PC games I'd like to play on a tablet than there are Android ones, this makes better sense for me.