PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Re: PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Are there any known issues with the Coregrafx or anything I should look for? I want a system with composite out of the box, if possible, and I'm basically just looking to use a Turbo Everdrive since I can't find games for these systems locally so I'm thinking this would be my best path without breaking the bank. is there a big difference between a Coregrafx 1 and 2?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

No issues as far as I'm aware of.

Apart from the color on the system case, no difference between the CoreGrafx and CoreGrafx II.
The latter was color-coordinated to match the Super CD-ROM² unit.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Any idea why my pc engine won't work? I have pcengine games now and I get no pic or sound so I think it's a dead system. I'm not sure what can be the problem. I finally get the pcengine and games to find out no power or pics or anything. Man what a bad morning to start.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

mas wrote:Any idea why my pc engine won't work? I have pcengine games now and I get no pic or sound so I think it's a dead system. I'm not sure what can be the problem. I finally get the pcengine and games to find out no power or pics or anything. Man what a bad morning to start.

First world problems, eh? :P

Could just be the power supply itself. Don't rule that out right away.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

No I used the pcengine adapter and then the TurboGrafx ac and nothing
marurun

Post by marurun »

jmbarnes101 wrote:Are there any known issues with the Coregrafx or anything I should look for? I want a system with composite out of the box, if possible, and I'm basically just looking to use a Turbo Everdrive since I can't find games for these systems locally so I'm thinking this would be my best path without breaking the bank. is there a big difference between a Coregrafx 1 and 2?

One of the Core revisions, possibly 1, has the same silicon correction found in the SuperGrafx which could affect sound output. Basically, the PC Engine CPU has a minor audio anomaly that most devs quickly routed around, but the SuperGrafx and Core 1 (I think) fixed that minor issue. The problem is that it's very difficult to perceive the results of the correction except in a couple very specific circumstances, and as most devs were very aware of it, they simply didn't do anything that would trigger it. It was a rather minor issue and thus not at all a show-stopper.

The corrected CPU is called the HuC6280A.

Later systems actually reverted to the uncorrected HuC6280. All Duos and the Core 2 (I think) use the stock HuC6280 instead of the A.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

mas wrote:Any idea why my pc engine won't work? I have pcengine games now and I get no pic or sound so I think it's a dead system. I'm not sure what can be the problem. I finally get the pcengine and games to find out no power or pics or anything. Man what a bad morning to start.

Check your AV cables, for one. If the plug is too wobbly you might need to replace the connector.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I have the original white pcengine. So no av and the rf works