Rayman Origins

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

I picked this up during the 19.99 Toys R Us sale, and as a big fan of the original, I've got to say that this one is nothing short of amazing. It's a bit different from the first, but it absolutely has the same spirit, it really feels like a sequel, maybe even more than the other sequels. I'm only at the second world just now as I've been a bit short on play-time, but I have to recommend it. Don't worry about 100% collection or any of that BS, just enjoy it. It's so goddamn fun, I can't wait to try out some four player!
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
Razzmatazz
64-bit

Post by Razzmatazz »

I've been playing this game with my girlfriend and it's simply put, immense. She usually plays games like The Sims or Lego Harry Potter, but she is blitzing through this game and asking me for occasional help on a boss. So difficulty wise, it's not hard, especially as you get infinite lives. The levels are in about 4 or 5 sections anyway and save once you get through each door. So I don't understand the difficulty thing.

I play it by collecting 300+ of the yellow things, and exploring but of course some of the levels where you are required to move through a level at pace (such as one where you have a floating sand snake weaving up and down at the bottom of a level based in the sky) you need to learn levels.
I just did a boss last night that was infuriating where you are underwater and face a giant spiked dragon that weaves in a figure 8 shape whilst opening a large mouth and firing caterpillars out, there is little room for error, but after about 20 times I had learnt it's moves and where was safe to stay and when to hit the exposed weak part. But as I have infinite lives each time I die I can just retry straight away.

I find New Super Mario Bros tougher to be honest. Where you have a few lives and are kicked out of the level after so many deaths by mistiming a jump that lands on a Goomba's eye instead of their scalp.

It's also to be noted that this game is great for co-op play, although a better variety of characters would have helped. You only get Rayman and then a variety of clones of the fat guy and the little guy.
Currently playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Check out my album reviews at the home of rap reviews, http://www.rapreviews.com (NEW SITE COMING 2015)
ethinethin
8-bit

Post by ethinethin »

noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Problem is, you eventually reach a point in the game where you can't proceed further unless you have a certain number of collectibles.

and just like that, I've made the decision to never play this game.

After previously reading this thread and seeing this post, I was worried about this, but I just beat the game and found it to be untrue. The only levels I couldn't enter immediately were the bonus "tooth" levels, which were optional. I beat the game without ever having to replay a level, and I missed out on a fair bit of the Electoons (the collectibles) along the way.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Good news everyone. Rayman Origins is coming to PC on March 29th. Glad I held out on it now. :mrgreen:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ethinethin wrote:After previously reading this thread and seeing this post, I was worried about this, but I just beat the game and found it to be untrue. The only levels I couldn't enter immediately were the bonus "tooth" levels, which were optional. I beat the game without ever having to replay a level, and I missed out on a fair bit of the Electoons (the collectibles) along the way.

really? Because I totally would play this game if collecting weren't mandatory.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

noiseredux wrote:
ethinethin wrote:After previously reading this thread and seeing this post, I was worried about this, but I just beat the game and found it to be untrue. The only levels I couldn't enter immediately were the bonus "tooth" levels, which were optional. I beat the game without ever having to replay a level, and I missed out on a fair bit of the Electoons (the collectibles) along the way.

really? Because I totally would play this game if collecting weren't mandatory.

Yep. It's true. You usually collect enough lums on the first run you don't need to go back to a level unless your trying to unlock the final optional world.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

DinnerX wrote:Yep. It's true. You usually collect enough lums on the first run you don't need to go back to a level unless your trying to unlock the final optional world.

final and optional level? Explain that to me. You can beat the game (get end credits) without going to this optional final level?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:
DinnerX wrote:Yep. It's true. You usually collect enough lums on the first run you don't need to go back to a level unless your trying to unlock the final optional world.

final and optional level? Explain that to me. You can beat the game (get end credits) without going to this optional final level?

Sounds like the Lost World of DKC2.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

noiseredux wrote:

Yes that is correct. Sorry for the confusion.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

ethinethin wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Problem is, you eventually reach a point in the game where you can't proceed further unless you have a certain number of collectibles.

and just like that, I've made the decision to never play this game.

After previously reading this thread and seeing this post, I was worried about this, but I just beat the game and found it to be untrue. The only levels I couldn't enter immediately were the bonus "tooth" levels, which were optional. I beat the game without ever having to replay a level, and I missed out on a fair bit of the Electoons (the collectibles) along the way.

That's a lie, the fairy girls will tell you that you cannot proceed in some parts unless you have enough electoons, which you can only acquire by collecting enough lums in each stage or finding the hidden areas in levels where electoons are held captive

YOU CANNOT SEE THE WHOLE GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE ENOUGH ELECTOONS

Read a few official reviews and you'll see that they back me up
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.