Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming on Windows Tablets thread

Post by FerretGamer »

I picked up the Winbook TW802 ($80 open box!) last week with the Nyko clip, which Microcenter sells in-store surprisingly. It works really well except that the Winbook is slightly on the heavier side and makes it feel a little top heavy at times. The Lenovo Miix 2 8 I used to own was definitely a lot lighter but the full-size USB on the Winbook is a nice bonus (and the price!).

However, I cannot deny the awesomeness of having Steam, Windows-based emulators, and more all with an excellent controller in my hands.

Edit: I have to ask, how are you liking Ori and the Blind Forest? Are you playing it on your Venue?
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

FerretGamer wrote:I picked up the Winbook TW802 ($80 open box!) last week with the Nyko clip, which Microcenter sells in-store surprisingly. It works really well except that the Winbook is slightly on the heavier side and makes it feel a little top heavy at times. The Lenovo Miix 2 8 I used to own was definitely a lot lighter but the full-size USB on the Winbook is a nice bonus (and the price!).

That's a nice price! And full USB is cool. I went w/ the Dell because it seemed to be the highest specs in a sub-$200 range. Fast found me a refurb that was too nice to pass on. I'll agree that the Dell can feel a bit top heavy w/ the clip, but if you find a good angle it's pretty comfortable.

However, I cannot deny the awesomeness of having Steam, Windows-based emulators, and more all with an excellent controller in my hands.

This. Exactly. To me I just love the idea that I've got a portable way to play such a huge huge selection of stuff.

Edit: I have to ask, how are you liking Ori and the Blind Forest? Are you playing it on your Venue?

Super pretty game. Sort of Meatboy-ish controls. Enjoying it.

I'm actually not playing it on the Venue, and it looks like the min specs call for 4GB RAM so I'd have to stream it to play it there it looks like.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hey guys, I'm planning to do an article on my RFGen blog about gaming on the Venue. So I'm thinking I want to have a list of like 10 or 12 games to test out and see how well they work. So of course this limits the games to being able to run on the hardware (2GB RAM, no dedicated GPU...). I also want there to be a mix of genres.

Here's some I was toying with including...

Borderlands (FPS)
Escape Goat 2 (platformer)
Jamestown (shmup)
Magical Drop V (puzzle)
Pangya (sports)
Phantasy Star Online (RPG)
Pinball Arcade (pinball)
Street Fighter IV (fighting)
The Talisman (board game)
XCOM: Enemy Within (strategy)

...I'm not actually sure that XCOM can run without a graphics card tho. Anyway, these are just some of the games that came to mind as being games I tend to play often already. But other recommendations would be appreciated especially if they add variety, or offer an interesting reason why they'd make a good test subject on a tablet. Thanks!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I know that all of those will run fine with proper settings. There are videos of BL:PS,Xcom, and SF4 on youtube.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:I know that all of those will run fine with proper settings. There are videos of BL:PS,Xcom, and SF4 on youtube.

I'll look into XCOM. Thought I had read/seen that someone got it to run the intro cinematic fine, but that it dropped to unplayable framerate in-game. If I can get XCOM to work on a tablet... I might be really busy for the next couple months.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRsqrwpe28

Not ideal, but playable.

interesting. I'll keep it on my list of games to test.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

fastbilly1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRsqrwpe28

Not ideal, but playable.

Interesting, they must not have had to do too much to get it running on an iPad.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Amazingly, Tomb Raider runs on these tablets and is very playable.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

FerretGamer wrote:Amazingly, Tomb Raider runs on these tablets and is very playable.

assuming you're talking about the 2013 game? Which is indeed impressive. Just looking, I guess the min RAM required is 1GB, with 4 recommended. So I guess that does make sense.

Remind me the specs of your particular model?