PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Azzurri

Re: PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Post by Azzurri »

Is there any reason to buy a US Turbo DUO if you're going to mod a JP version.

The US Duo's are really expensive, while the JP ones are way more affordable.
marurun

Post by marurun »

As long as you do a proper mod, there's really no point. If you aren't planning on grounding the pin on the CPU, however, you're in for a real treat (not really).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

marurun wrote:As long as you do a proper mod, there's really no point. If you aren't planning on grounding the pin on the CPU, however, you're in for a real treat (not really).

So it's more of a collectors thing?

$600 just seems so high, while you can get JP version for half the price.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, I would call it a collector's thing. And you have more JPN Duo models to choose from, including the R and RX which don't have quite the same leaky capacitor problem the original Duo models (US and JPN) have.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

probably due to have never seeing a brand new unit, how white is a PCEduoR supposed to be? should it be as white as the original little pc engine? mine seems to be as greyish as the front part of a gamecube where the controller ports are (cant find any other color reference) . and the controller has alot of yellowing, ive been tempted to whiten the thing (the controller at least)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

arcadifvid wrote:probably due to have never seeing a brand new unit, how white is a PCEduoR supposed to be? should it be as white as the original little pc engine? mine seems to be as greyish as the front part of a gamecube where the controller ports are (cant find any other color reference) . and the controller has alot of yellowing, ive been tempted to whiten the thing (the controller at least)

The R and RX are indeed light grey.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hobie-wan wrote:
arcadifvid wrote:probably due to have never seeing a brand new unit, how white is a PCEduoR supposed to be? should it be as white as the original little pc engine? mine seems to be as greyish as the front part of a gamecube where the controller ports are (cant find any other color reference) . and the controller has alot of yellowing, ive been tempted to whiten the thing (the controller at least)

The R and RX are indeed light grey.

And so is the controller.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

Thanks! looks like its still good. strangely enough when i look at pics online, the controller seems to be always yellowed compared to the console.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, if you got an R, the pad is a 2-button one, right? There's a 6-button that comes with the RX that's a lot like the PC-FX pad. These are not good pads. The 2-button is much better. If you need a 6-button pad, there are much better ones to acquire, like the NEC Avenue 6 pad and, if you like the SNES pads (I don't), the Hori Fighting Commander.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

marurun wrote:There's a 6-button that comes with the RX that's a lot like the PC-FX pad. These are not good pads.

Respectfully sir, you are on crack. :P