Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Ziggy

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of different CV2 hacks that improve it one way or another. One hack that takes out the day/night transition message (so you don't have to wait every time) and doubles the amount of hearts you pickup, both of which are aimed to make the game less tedious. I've seen other hacks that just clean up the script and make it less cryptic. Another hack that just adds the SRAM support. But this map hack seems to do all the important things in one patch.

Here's another patch that I posted in the ROM hack thread that some of you might not have seen: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2150/

God of War II. It's a hack of the first Castlevania, and it looks pretty well done (I haven't played it yet). There's also a God of War (1) which is a hack of Rygar.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed with that CV2 hack. And I haven't even played 1 minute of the actual game!

First off, don't download the hack form RHDN, get it from the official site here: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/

Click on "Switch page language!" and the page will convert to English. Now scroll down just a bit and notice that you can create a patch with CUSTOMIZED options! Choose language and NTSC or PAL. You can even choose previous version of the hack (I went with the newest version, which is actually much newer than the patch on RHDN). Then you can choose what patch format you want (IPS is probably what you want) and whether to download it zipped or uncompressed.

Don't click download yet, there's plenty more options! Choose the chipset, I choose MMC4 and left the box unchecked. This seems like the best option for use on a flash cart. Then you have a bunch of options below that. I left them all on yes, with the exception of removing the password function (fuck those passwords if I have a working SRAM feature!). After you're done, scroll back up and click the download button.

I was able to successfully patch the random CV2 ROM I had on hand. The problem though was that it wouldn't load on the NES via the PowerPak (I got some kind of mapper error message). I had to run the patched ROM through this utility (used the "clean ROM" feature) and it's boots on the PowerPak now.

I haven't played much of it yet. I just loaded a new game and jumped in the water three times so that I could test the save function out (it works!). It looks great though. The cinematic prologue is AMAZING. Seriously, I was blown away by what a great job they did. You know how CV2 is a direct sequel to the first game? Well the cinematic prologue explains the story to you. It uses footage from the first game, explaining what happened, and then has new footage to explain the rest of the story. I don't think I've seen anything like it on the NES before.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Thanks for the info on this Ziggy.

I've been trying to play through on my GBA (emulated via GBA Movie Player). But I'm stumped without walkthrough support (which I've been trying to avoid).
Actually learned one thing just from screenshots of the hack that I need to try (involving garlic).

Not sure if my cart I have would take kindly to the rom hack (or if it would meet the rom size limit), but I may try it sometime :) .

As a side note, I'm glad they have an option to keep the password save. It's actually not too annoying to me (fairly short entry) and I'm all for anything I can do to preserve my flash memory lifetime (not to mention that the GBA Movie Player/SD version can't save anyways).

If all else fails, I do have other flash carts to try, but I like the one I'm using for twitch playing.
...just another lost soul...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so what's the word on LOS2? I just played thru the demo and it seems really fun.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Beat Castlevania today. More in the horror thread.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

noiseredux wrote:so what's the word on LOS2? I just played thru the demo and it seems really fun.

I was having a lot of fun with it and then got distracted by work and never came back, sadly. I should really pick it back up again in celebration of the Halloween season.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Has any one played Castlevania II Revamped? It looks pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJl_pzIIn14
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Here's a hack that turns Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle into a Castlevania game: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2215/

I'll have to remember to give it a try some time.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

The ever-futile quest to complete my Castlevania Collection shall continue on....

This is why I will always scoff at Earthbound-hunters:

Jan 19, 2015

Actually coming across a CIB US copy of Kid Dracula, let alone obtaining one for an affordable price, is just down-right maddening...

Dec 7, 2014
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I still waffle on whether I consider Kid Dracula to truly be CV... It's the only US game I don't have, personally, but I hunt cart-only so it's much easier for me.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread