Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Was surprised this is $15 for the paperback on Amazon today.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Was surprised this is $15 for the paperback on Amazon today.

Wasn't it like $25 or something just the other day? Could have sworn it was. I just bought a copy. The preview made it look real nice.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Yeah, still says $25 on the HC101 website too but that was definitely the paperback link, not the online version.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I got the book in today and it looks real nice. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but first impressions are that it's manufactured real nice.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so I wasn't going to get it,
but $15 was a magic price for me and I ordered one of those books the other day.

I'll have to avoid the info on the games I haven't played yet though (had similar issues with Hyrule Historia).
I really need to get the Castlevanias on PS3 at some point.
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Got my book yesterday...

It doesn't tell me a lot that I don't already know (and nothing I can't look up :wink: ),
but I can say one thing:

This is not a book I got for collector's value;
Meaning,
I'm going to wear this thing out with how much I'll read and re-read everything.
The full color pages are very pleasant to look at and even provide many screenshot comparisons.

Really, I couldn't be happier with it. (well, it could have a complete bestiary, items, and weapons from all the games, but that's probably asking a little TOO much).
...just another lost soul...
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Can't wait to get my hands on one of those books. Looks awesome!

In other 'Vania news, looks like both Dracula X (snes) and Circle of the Moon will be coming to the Wii U ' s virtual console!
Dracula X is cool, but looks like the gba metroidvania series of games are going to get some well deserved love! Day One downloads for sure!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Not to double post the info, but for those that don't check the ROM hack thread...

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

I came across this hack for Castlevania II. I actually like CV2, but I find it unplayable for the reasons we are all aware of. This hack seems to fix all the major issues with the game.

-Retranslation in English: The hack doesn't comment on how well the new translation is, but I'm sure it's WAY better than the original Engrish translation. And hopefully less cryptic and confusing as well.

-Map function: Press select to view a map. It shows you where you are, and where other locations are. It looks wonderful.

-SRAM save function: The game can be saved instead of using that annoying password system!

I've been told it works on real hardware. Some time ago I found another hack of CV2 that added SRAM save support, but it didn't work on the PowerPak. This hack has SRAM support plus a map and a better script, AND it works on real hardware!
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Missed that one, Ziggy - thanks! Have you tried Simon's Quest - Revamped yet?

Is it weird for me to say that if the other two NES games weren't so good, I'd love this the best? :lol:

I have so much nostalgia not just for the game itself and it's music, but actually for some of the cryptic text in the game. Some memorable quotes that I still get goosebumps thinking about:

"To restore your life, shout in front of the church."
"Hit Deborah Cliff with your head to make a hole."
"I'll see you at midnight on the river bank."
"Don't make me stay. I'll die."
"Take my daughter, please!!" :shock:
"Dig up the 4th grave in the cemetery for a diamond."
"After Castlevania I warned you not to return."
...and who can forget:
"Don't look into the death star, or you will die." :lol:

Now, I get it - this might seem pretty comical to the modern gamer. But imagine being a 7-8 year old kid in 1988/89, who attends Catholic grade school and lives near 3 major graveyards and countless wooded areas.
In my mind, it felt like I was living in Konami's version of Transylvania.
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

They just keep trying to redo Simon's Quest :lol:

That one looks interesting with the map though. I have a CIB copy of "Simon's Quest Redacted" from Timewalk before they shuttered, it does a great job, but I always love seeing how people can improve memories from my childhood.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread