1994 Road Rash - Best Port?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
boviniusmaximus

Re: 1994 Road Rash - Best Port?

Post by boviniusmaximus »

I had the 3do version, it was amazing back in the day, although I don't remember it playing rock music in game. It played Soundgarden and a few others in the menus and had a couple of music videos that played if you let the start screen loop a few times. In game it was rather weedy chiptunes (due to the track geometry being streamed from the CD instead of music I think).
I used to love the videos that played when you lost, some were quite violent.
After paying nearly 600 notes for the system, this game reassured me that it was money well spent, the megadrive version looked so primitive compared to this.
I played the n64 version recently, its not a patch on the 3do one.
It did sort of work when played on the 3do emulator floating about (freedo?), so that's an option to try it without buying a unit.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

boviniusmaximus wrote:I had the 3do version, it was amazing back in the day

Wow, I don't know anyone who actually had a 3DO back in the day, very cool.
boviniusmaximus wrote:I don't remember it playing rock music in game. It played Soundgarden and a few others in the menus and had a couple of music videos that played if you let the start screen loop a few times. In game it was rather weedy chiptunes

So same as the PSX version. I keep hearing people rave about the 3DO version but still haven't found out what makes it stand out compared to PSX and Saturn versions.
boviniusmaximus wrote:I played the n64 version recently

My brother had that back in the day, it's rubbish I know.
boviniusmaximus wrote:freedo

I recently tried messing about with FreeDO for about 10 minutes but without success, might give it another go when I can be bothered.
Weekend shmupper
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Lol looks like you & some other dude had the same questions...

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive/in ... 17047.html

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Haha, looks like it's been a mystery for some time. Will check out that 'sheath' guy's comparison video when I get off work. Thanks!
Weekend shmupper
boviniusmaximus

Post by boviniusmaximus »

Nyukki wrote:Wow, I don't know anyone who actually had a 3DO back in the day, very cool.

Trouble was, no high street retailers in the u.k. stocked games (or the system itself) and I never met anyone else who had one. Had to get everything from dodgy mail order ads in the back of mags.

I only ever had about 10 games for it, but every one made other consoles look primitive . Starblade was bloody stunning, improving on the arcade versions flat shaded polygons with full texture mapping .
Even the demo disk was jaw dropping at the time, especially the batman cartoon and the photocd demo.
Many, many nights were spent watching the fractal music visualisations after returning from clubbing wasted. Great times.

I have some sweet wireless controllers that were also stupidly expensive back in the day, but the pack in one with the megalong cord and built in headphone jack and volume control were pretty good and I see that after nearly 2 decades next gen consoles are finally catching up with on controller audio jacks.

And the best thing about it is that it still works perfectly after nearly 20 years of heavy use ( mainly as a CD player these days). The thing was built like a tank.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

No1 ever really mentions Total Eclipse on the 3DO. Game would've blown my mind back then.

Back to RR.... original Genesis music gets stuck in my head often. Great tunes.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

They have that gritty western Genesis music sound but it works well for the type of game it is.

Until Road Rash 3 anyway I find most of the music in that one kind of obnoxious.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

boviniusmaximus wrote:fractal music visualisations

Man, I completely forgot about those. Used to put the one on the Paystation on when we got back from nights out back in the day.
Weekend shmupper