What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendat

Post by Xeogred »

Sano wrote:I've found myself going back and watching some older series.

DBZ
Sailor Moon
Some of the older Gundam series :mrgreen:

If you like Zeta check out L-Gaim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuvca6MPO0s
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

johnny turbo wrote:Yeah I just finished the new lupin show, and I really enjoyed it. It's stylish, and I really enjoy the music.

I'm about half way through now and I'm really digging the show and the visuals so far. The sketchy-ness of some of the animation really appeals to me.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

Just finished showing Cowboy Bebop to my girlfriend. She liked it. Great show! And the soundtrack is killer.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Finished watching the complete Dragon Ball GT series over the weekend. Never saw very much of it until recently, and it was neat.

It definitely hearkened back to the all-out goofiness that was present in the original DB.
ded srs
16-bit

Post by ded srs »

So I tried watching a couple episodes of Lucky Star just to see why I keep finding pictures of its characters everywhere. It was cutesy and boring. I'm legitimately curious, what is the appeal of "slice of life" anime?
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

ded srs wrote:So I tried watching a couple episodes of Lucky Star just to see why I keep finding pictures of its characters everywhere. It was cutesy and boring. I'm legitimately curious, what is the appeal of "slice of life" anime?

Relaxing? And sometimes pretty funny. Depends on the series. Certain slice of life series, like Aria, are just relaxing and put you in a calm, happy place.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

ded srs wrote:So I tried watching a couple episodes of Lucky Star just to see why I keep finding pictures of its characters everywhere. It was cutesy and boring. I'm legitimately curious, what is the appeal of "slice of life" anime?

Usually humor, which is gonna be subjective (I liked Lucky Star and Azumanga, but didn't stick with others like K-On!). Most of them (Lucky Star included) are derived from four panel comic strips, which may partly explain the style they're usually done in, especially when combined with moe elements.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

isiolia wrote:

Usually humor, which is gonna be subjective (I liked Lucky Star and Azumanga, but didn't stick with others like K-On!). Most of them (Lucky Star included) are derived from four panel comic strips, which may partly explain the style they're usually done in, especially when combined with moe elements.

Sort of like Peanuts, I guess? Except vertical instead of horizontal?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BoringSupreez wrote:Sort of like Peanuts, I guess? Except vertical instead of horizontal?

Basically, yeah, pretty similar to how a lot of newspaper comics are. You might have a larger continuity, but, each set of panels probably has something that stands alone too.

You can read some online to get the gist.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

isiolia wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:Sort of like Peanuts, I guess? Except vertical instead of horizontal?

Basically, yeah, pretty similar to how a lot of newspaper comics are. You might have a larger continuity, but, each set of panels probably has something that stands alone too.

You can read some online to get the gist.

I actually own an Azumanga Daioh book already, I guess it just slipped my mind. It fits what you're describing though, four-panel strips with continuity.

I can't say that an anime based on that sounds particularly interesting. The Peanuts (and Garfield) specials lost their appeal once I turned 12 or so.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.