Impressions on Dragon Quest V (SNES)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
anonymous1980
8-bit

Impressions on Dragon Quest V (SNES)

Post by anonymous1980 »

So i've been playing this game for the first time, a few hours into it, and i gotta say that it is amazing how much fun, and unique this game can be after all these years. What surprised me most was the quest design, which was one memorable, grand adventure after the other with absolutely no filler that breaks the pace.

What's unique is the plot, and storytelling, which is amazing. You're literally growing up with this character, that feel of progression for everything you do is something i've barely felt in JRPGs, yet this game has that in spades. I'm still a long way from finishing the game, but it's so awesome up until now, and if that keeps up, i can easily see it as my one of my favorite games of all times.

After i'm finished with this one, i'm definitely gonna invest time into all of them. I think i missed bigtime by not checking out the Dragon Quest series.

Even the random encounters, which usually makes me go ape shit in other JRPGs, wasn't a bother because it's extremely fast.. Actually, that's what i love about SNES JRPGs - crisp pacing, no loading times, no filler, and beautiful sprites.

So what's your favorite Dragon Quest game, or hell, favorite JRPG in general?
$crewed4l
16-bit

Re: Impressions on Dragon Quest V (SNES)

Post by $crewed4l »

Favorite Jrpg? Mine has to be chronotrigger it's the game that got me into RPGs
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I love Dragon Quest VIII, thought it was a great blend of modern technology with retro gameplay.

I have only finished Dragon Quest I and VIII (VIII was actually the first DQ/DW game to come out in Australia).

I recently picked up VI for the DS, looking forward to getting into it when I have the time.
anonymous1980
8-bit

Post by anonymous1980 »

emwearz wrote:I love Dragon Quest VIII, thought it was a great blend of modern technology with retro gameplay.

I have only finished Dragon Quest I and VIII (VIII was actually the first DQ/DW game to come out in Australia).

I recently picked up VI for the DS, looking forward to getting into it when I have the time.

I don't know how VI is, but V is such a great game, with a fantastic plot. I can only imagine how much better it is on the DS, with the graphical facelift.

What's cool is that Dragon Quest I - VI are all on the SNES, and i heard about that version of DQ I that it's short and easily manageable in one sitting. DQ II, on the other hand, is absolutely gigantic, so i don't know if i'll play it given the wealth of choices in the series.

I'm planning to jump straight into DQ VI once i finish V.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've only played the DS version of DQV but it's definitely a great game. It's the title I tend to recommend to people who have never played a DQ game as the best introduction to the series. It isn't too long (for average gamers) like DQVII or too light in the story department (for people used to modern RPGs) like DQIII. I think it's just the right balance of what the series has to offer!

The Dragon Quest games are my favorite RPG series, though I haven't yet played VIII or IX. The third one is what really cemented its greatness in my mind (I played the GBC version); the first game is pretty minimal and the second game is a slog, but Dragon Quest III really perfects the fun gameplay with an interesting job system; I had way more fun with it than any other 8-bit RPG I've played!

Dragon Quest II is the only "bad" game in the series. It isn't as bad as Final Fantasy II, but it's just not a very good game. And while the first three games' stories connect to form a loose trilogy, the second one is still PRETTY SKIPABLE since it takes place last chronologically.
I think jumping into DQ VI is a solid plan - it's a totally solid entry in the series!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

anonymous1980 wrote:What's cool is that Dragon Quest I - VI are all on the SNES

I don't believe Dragon Quest IV is. It wouldn't make sense anyway, as the game was released on the Famicom in 1990.

Anyway, V is one of my favorite DQ's. I prefer the DS port. It's amazing that we got 4 Dragon Quest games on the DS released in the States - they're all incredibly addictive.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't believe Dragon Quest IV is.

It wasn't, though IV was remade for the PS1. (In Japan only.)

Favorite JRPG? Probably one of the first three (numeral) Suikoden games, or Breath of Fire V. Chrono Cross and Dragon Quest VIII are also probably really close.

What I think I'm finding out about myself recently is that I really don't care that much for traditional JRPGs. It takes something really special in a JRPG to get me to care. (Action RPGs, on the other hand; Look out!) I really love the Dragon Quest series, though. Unfortunately I only ever started play DQ games when VIII was released in the US. There's something really amazing about the pacing of that game in such an "archaic" structure. Combat is surprisingly deep as well. Level 5 did a really incredible job with the game. I would think it would be difficult for any other game in the series to outshine VIII, personally, but I'm interested in playing more of V before too long.

After VIII, I played and beat IV, which is a really great game. If you've finished V, I might recommend IV before VI: I've heard that VI isn't really that spectacular, while IV starts off the Zenethian trilogy that culminates with VI. I also played the SFC versions of 1 and 2 over the summer, and I really liked 1. It's extremely simplistic by today's standards, but I thought it was very enjoyable. II is really unfortunate. I didn't care much for it at all. It's not really bad, but it can be absurdly frustrating. (At least without using any guides.)