Can an 9 y.o. play Virtua Fighter 5???

Brawlers and Beatemups
peace4myheart
128-bit

Can an 9 y.o. play Virtua Fighter 5???

Post by peace4myheart »

I went to my friend's son BD party the other day. I didn't know what to get him so I asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted Virtua Fighter 5 for PS3. I told him that that game is very technical and he wouldn't enjoy it as much. I asked him if he would rather I buy Soulcalibur 4 instead. He said he wanted Virtua Fighter 5 cuz it costs 30 dollars and it would save me some money. I decided to buy him Soulcalibur 5 in the end cuz I thought a 9 y.o. would enjoy SCIV more. I was thinking a kid of that age would probably play by button mashing anyway. So what do you guys think??? Did I make the right choice or have I stereotyped all 9 y.o. out there???
"You're just given the illusion that your decisions can actually make a difference when in the end all has been decided by the programmers." NebachadnezzaR
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

I think you should have gotten him what he asked for. I mean, these games have difficulty settings, and even then, some kids don't need them. When I was nine, I had already mastered the Tony Hawk series. I could also beat Street Fighter II, and I had worked Mega Man X down to Sigma (who to this day I can't beat.)
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

When i was nine, i wanted Pandemonium....how times have changed.

I think he will probably get more fun out of soul calibur, Virtua Fighter is a pretty rigid arcade fighter, the extra modes in soul calibur are probably more intertaining for a nine year old imo.
Chizzles
8-bit

Post by Chizzles »

I think you should have gotten him whatever he asked for, to be honest.

I have been a fan of Virtua Fighter since 1994, and I was only 5 back then, and I loved playing it in the Arcades. I stuck with the series in all of its' various incarnations right up until 4! The only thing that prevents me from obtaining 5 is that I don't own a Ps3 or 360.

Do not understimate a child's ability to kick your ass at Virtua Fighter :wink:
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

Chizzles wrote:Do not understimate a child's ability to kick your ass at Virtua Fighter :wink:

I once was brutally beaten in Halo 3 by an eight year old, with me at skill level 19.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

In an uncanny coincidence, I saw a kid of about 8 or 9 last night in Wal-Mart having an extremely good time playing his mom at a PS3 demo station...and VF5 was the game. He will not win tournaments, but just seeing 2 big characters hit each other is attractive for many young people.

Comparing VF5 and SCIV and their suitability for children is difficult; perhaps the colours and craziness of SC will entice them more, but perhaps the simplicity of VF5 might be better.

(By simplicity, I mean VF5 only does what you tell it to. Even if a kid is button mashing, the character will probably perform only a few exact movements...giving a stronger sense of connection to the character?)
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Ack

Post by Ack »

You know, I used to play Virtua Fighter in the arcade when I was about 11. I never got very far, but it was still a really cool game to me. For one thing, I always found the characters entertaining. I was never any good, but that didn't stop me. Plus, if he grows up with it, maybe he'll start figuring it out and he'll get really good at it.

Eh, who knows. Part of his response was that he was trying to make things easier for you by asking for a cheaper game, so it's likely he'll appreciate either game anyway.
Dreamstation
24-bit

Post by Dreamstation »

Virtua Fighter is not as hard to play as people make it out to be. Soul Calibur 4 is a good game but the button mashing kills the replay value. In the end comes down to a straight forward low learning curve game like Soul Calibur 4 or Virtua Fighter 5 with a strategy system and a high learning curve. it all depends on what type of fighters the kid likes.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

My girlfriend kicked my ass all the way from Virtua Fighter 1 on 32x to 3tb on DC last night. I guess shes not a 9 year old, but it was the first time she played em!
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

Also, SC4 has bucu booby bouncing and exposure compared to the old ones! Dont know if that has any effect. It wouldnt effect my decision, but who knows?

Really, you should just get him what he asked for!