Xperia Play (Verizon)
10%
Xperia Play 4G (AT&T)
No votes
iPhone 5 (AT&T)
40%
iPhone (Verizon)
20%
Other (Please explain, and have a good reason other than personal favoritism)
30%

Total votes: 10

Opa Opa

Re: Help Me Decide On A New Phone

Post by Opa Opa »

(Sorry but I absolutely had to post this. :P )

---
FWIW, you'll never worry about losing a signal.
PSony
24-bit

Post by PSony »

I got my first mobile phone a month ago. It's the iPhone 3GS for $50 with contract.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Only saw this now.

I say get one of the Xperia Play. I think you will enjoy the dedicated d-pad, AND you can get it now instead of wait for the iPad 5 (which isn't confirmed, and will certainly be overpriced even if it will have better hardware, and if they fly off the shelves it may be tricky to get them etc.).

Can't comment on networks though.

Ivo.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Id buy Verizon hands down. I have used all four of the major carriers and when traveling only Verizon constantly has a signal (ATT is much better now than it was a couple years ago). My oldest brother travels almost daily and never has an issue with Verizon, except when underground, where as the rest of the crew always is searching for signal. My current phone doesnt really help you: Casio Birgade, because it is not a smart phone, however the Casio Commando is my suggestion for anyone who wants a phone that will last them more than a year or two, it is android and does this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_YYys9-kiE

Out of your choices, Xperia Play - Verizon.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I hope it doesn't come off as too extreme, but I feel like anything other than an iPhone is a waste of money. This is concerning the normal user who wants the easiest system to work with, the highest quality apps, and the best hardware.

I feel there is one main decision to make when choosing a phone: do I want to pay money up front. If not, get whatever free phone seems like a good fit to you and hope for the best. Otherwise, get an iPhone.

As for which iPhone, that is hard to say. The iPhone 4 was a huge step up from the 3GS, and it was clearly a bad option to get the older model once the 4 was released. While we don't have concrete info about the 5, I suspect the difference will not be as significant. The major draw will likely be the HPSA+ support for increased data speeds if you live in a supported area.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

I picked other because I don't think any of those phones you mentioned are worth it. I think the Android platform is growing quite well. You could probably get one of the top end HTC phones with the same money.
Thanks everyone...
PSony
24-bit

Post by PSony »

I don't feel the slight increase in speed and resolution, and a camera, would be worth the $150 price difference between the 3GS and 4.

For someone who is getting a first mobile phone, the $50 3GS is a pretty good deal. It plays the same games that the 4 does. I'll probably upgrade to 5 when they release 6 or something. However, I didn't really buy it mainly to play games (I rarely mess with it when I don't have to work).