Power Base Converter

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Power Base Converter

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've been having a hard time finding a Sega Master System, so I happened to snatch up a power base converter when I saw one in a used video game store last week. Unfortunately, I don't have any master system games (yet) to test. Could you guys clear up a couple of things for me...

- This thing has no power supply, right? I asked the sales clerk (clueless), but there doesn't seem to be a slot to plug one in.
- Will the Genesis controllers work fine with this, or should I get master system controllers?

Thanks!
AppleQueso

Re: Power Base Converter

Post by AppleQueso »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've been having a hard time finding a Sega Master System, so I happened to snatch up a power base converter when I saw one in a used video game store last week. Unfortunately, I don't have any master system games (yet) to test. Could you guys clear up a couple of things for me...

- This thing has no power supply, right? I asked the sales clerk (clueless), but there doesn't seem to be a slot to plug one in.
- Will the Genesis controllers work fine with this, or should I get master system controllers?

Thanks!

dont' know about the first question (pretty sure it just works on its own), but as for the second:

yes, you can use Genesis controllers. I think there's like one or two games that act weird with them though. Alien Syndrome is one of them.

A weird thing about Genny controllers on SMS is that B = 1 and C = 2. A does nothing
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

it needs no extra power since it runs off of the genesis.

You can use either the Master system's controllers or genesis, but if you use the genesis you have some buttons that dont work.

You have to get up and pause the game, since pause is built into the powerbase.

You will also need the first genesis console, not the later redesign. The genesis 3 doesnt work either.

The power base does work in a CDX tho, but it not really balanced right.

this is what I know since I own one.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks guys.

I actually tried to mount it on a model 2 once I got home. Thankfully I have a model 1 in the closet (still has a $4.99 price tag on it lol).
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

the only thing stopping it from working on a model 2 is its shape actually. If you wanted to chop off a few plastic bits it'd work fine.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

AppleQueso wrote:the only thing stopping it from working on a model 2 is its shape actually. If you wanted to chop off a few plastic bits it'd work fine.

No Frankensteins, please. Anyway, you don't need to buy an actual SMS controller, but I recommend it, as that is what SMS games were intended to be played with.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoringSupreez wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:the only thing stopping it from working on a model 2 is its shape actually. If you wanted to chop off a few plastic bits it'd work fine.

No Frankensteins, please. Anyway, you don't need to buy an actual SMS controller, but I recommend it, as that is what SMS games were intended to be played with.

If you do, make sure you get the second revision of the SMS controller. The first one has a d-pad that rivals the 360 in how bad it is.

For an earlier question, no, it doesn't require power. All the power base converter does is reroute some of the pins from the SMS cart, as well as adding a pause button. Tototek even makes their own version of it that works on any model Genesis:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=74
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

MrPopo wrote: Tototek even makes their own version of it that works on any model Genesis:

Wow cool. I didn't know this existed. I actually have a model 1 Mega Drive hooked up just for the Mega Adapter. If this would let me play my Mark III games on my Wondermega, that'd be awesome. I can put the model 1 Mega Drive away and use that space for another console.

The only problem are the My Card games. You know, the ones that look like PC Engine Hucards. I only have one of them so far, but I dunno if it would work in here. Either way, I may pick this up. Thanks. (^_^)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Inazuma wrote:
MrPopo wrote: Tototek even makes their own version of it that works on any model Genesis:

Wow cool. I didn't know this existed. I actually have a model 1 Mega Drive hooked up just for the Mega Adapter. If this would let me play my Mark III games on my Wondermega, that'd be awesome. I can put the model 1 Mega Drive away and use that space for another console.

The only problem are the My Card games. You know, the ones that look like PC Engine Hucards. I only have one of them so far, but I dunno if it would work in here. Either way, I may pick this up. Thanks. (^_^)

No, the card games don't work on that adapter. I think they considered it a small enough niche that it wasn't worth bothering.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

weren't nearly all of the card games later released as cartridges anyhow?