PS1: Black Label vs. Greatest Hits

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

PS1: Black Label vs. Greatest Hits

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So I recently bought a used copy of Xenogears at a local game shop. It's one of those stores where discs are stored behind the counter and placed in the game case when you bring one up.

Three months later I go to play the game and realize that disc 1 is black label and disc 2 is greatest hits. Will I be able to play through the game okay? In other words, once I move to disc 2, will I be able to load the disc 1 data from the memory card? I asked some people who said yes, that the artwork was the only difference between BL/GH discs, thought I'd ask some of the retrogaming gurus over here their opinions too. I'll be pissed if I wasted my money and it won't play. :/
Flake

Re: PS1: Black Label vs. Greatest Hits

Post by Flake »

There are only a few instances where the code used for the GH version differs from the original release, and usually it's only to correct bugs or glitches. I can 99% promise you you'll have no problems.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Flake wrote:There are only a few instances where the code used for the GH version differs from the original release, and usually it's only to correct bugs or glitches.

Really? What GH games for the PS1 did this? What bugs or glitches were fixed?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Three months later I go to play the game and realize that disc 1 is black label and disc 2 is greatest hits. Will I be able to play through the game okay? In other words, once I move to disc 2, will I be able to load the disc 1 data from the memory card? I asked some people who said yes, that the artwork was the only difference between BL/GH discs, thought I'd ask some of the retrogaming gurus over here their opinions too. I'll be pissed if I wasted my money and it won't play. :/
Agree with Flake, just new cover art. The games save should still carry over on your disc two. If you want the latest revision it will be on the Greatest Hits, not sure which titles got an update. But its just an update bug fix, no new levels. There are some Greatest Hits that do have additional levels and features, not on the PS1 but on a few PS2 Greatest Hits games.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

CRTGAMER wrote: If you want the latest revision it will be on the Greatest Hits, not sure which titles got an update. But its just an update bug fix

Are there actual examples of this?
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

dsheinem wrote:
Flake wrote:There are only a few instances where the code used for the GH version differs from the original release, and usually it's only to correct bugs or glitches.

Really? What GH games for the PS1 did this? What bugs or glitches were fixed?

- Devil May Cry 3 GH became a special edition with improved difficulty/level balancing with additional content.

- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex GH has the loading times improved over the original.

- DragonBall Z Budokai 3 GH has an unlockable bonus to hear the original Japanese voiceovers.

- Gran Turismo 2 GH has a bug fixed that allows you to achieve 100%.

- Marvel Ultimate Alliance GH contains an extra disc with special bonus features.

- Silent Hill 2 GH has additional bonus content previously exclusive to other regions, along with improved graphics.

- Twisted Metal Black GH adds an extra disc for online not present in the original version.

- Virtua Fighter 4 GH is 'Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution' and has improved graphics and more content.

I know I'm mixing PS1 and PS2 games, but you get the idea. Many games had their artwork changed for the GH release -- for example, check out Gran Turismo 4 black label vs Gran Turismo 4 GH. The GH version has a complete manual (unlike the original), in addition to a back cover with different text and images.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Something new for Dsh to collect.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dsheinem wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote: If you want the latest revision it will be on the Greatest Hits, not sure which titles got an update. But its just an update bug fix

The black label version of Final Fantasy Anthology has a bug in Final Fantasy 5 that manifests as garbled graphics on the save screen when playing it on a ps2, and a total lock up when playing it on the ps3.

The GH version fixes that bug.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

AppleQueso wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

The black label version of Final Fantasy Anthology has a bug in Final Fantasy 5 that manifests as garbled graphics on the save screen when playing it on a ps2, and a total lock up when playing it on the ps3.

The GH version fixes that bug.

Yes, I can confirm this one!
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

irixith wrote:- Silent Hill 2 GH has additional bonus content previously exclusive to other regions, along with improved graphics.

Correction: The content wasn't exclusive to other regions but exclusive to other platforms. :wink: