New Forum Themes/Styles Feedback

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Note
Next-Gen

Re: New Forum Themes/Styles Feedback

Post by Note »

Appreciate the larger image, Ziggy.

I was thinking of keeping my avatar as is, but perhaps when a new forum theme is finalized, I'll change it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No worries, wasn't trying to force anything on you! :D
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So I have the RB header on each of the themes now.
I notice some imperfections that I hope to refine, but I changed the default to what is now called "RB ProSilver Dark".
If you got switched away from the light ProSilver, there is an RB version of that you can select.
There is also an RB version of Milk, if you'd like to try that (although the text is a bit smaller still).
Classic versions of the themes are still available in the options for now.

I welcome feedback!
Thanks for your patience!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Is there any way to get the board index / quick links thing at the top of the forum to hover below the header so that it's always available even when you scroll down?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I don't think there's a relatively easy solution for that. I was just browsing through the extension library and didn't see one for that.
It might also be more of a niche feature that would theoretically eat into vertical space -- especially on mobile.
I personally just bookmark the link that means the most to me.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I had some feedback for "RB Milk."

When in the light version, the background color for quoted messages is too similar to the background for normal messages. It makes it hard to read a post with quoted messages, especially one with multiple quotes or quotes within quotes.

On every other theme, when you're viewing a list of topics (either "Active Topics" or in a sub forum) on the left you can see the thread title, the original date the thread was created, and the username of the person who created it. Then you have the replies and views, and finally the last post all the way on the right side. But with Milk, it's missing the date when the thread was originally created. I find this to be extremely useful. Is there a way to add it?

Also with Milk, there's no forum navigation on the top. For example: "Board Index < Off-topic/Whatever < Forum Themes/Styles Feedback. Those are all links that you can click on to easily navigate. This is missing in Milk. So if I don't want anything in Quick Links, the only navigation I have is to click on "Forum" from the custom RB header to go back to the main index page.

edit: I just noticed that there is a hyperlink to the thread where the navigation should be, but it's really cluttered.
RB Milk Navigation.JPG
RB Milk Navigation.JPG (36.37 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Also wanted to chime in on the light version of Milk RB and noticed that Ziggy covered most of what I was going to mention. I really like this theme, and consider it my favorite one available but if possible to implement those tweaks, that'd be great.

The only other tweak to the theme I think would be useful is adjusting the font color in a few areas. For example, when you click on your username in the top right corner, the text in the drop down menu that appears is in a light grey that is a bit difficult to read. If that can be swapped to a dark grey, I think it'd be a bit friendlier on the eyes.

Also, it looks like images are not working in user signatures? A good amount of regular posters have an image that links to their Backloggery stats but they don't seem to be displaying properly anymore. I thought it was related to a specific theme but it doesn't seem to display properly in ProSilver Light or RB Milk.

Thanks for all the work on this, Nick!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Note wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:36 am The only other tweak to the theme I think would be useful is adjusting the font color in a few areas. For example, when you click on your username in the top right corner, the text in the drop down menu that appears is in a light grey that is a bit difficult to read. If that can be swapped to a dark grey, I think it'd be a bit friendlier on the eyes.
Thanks for mentioning this, it was actually something I wanted to mention as well but forgot. It's also for the Quick Links drop down menu as well.
Note wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:36 am Also, it looks like images are not working in user signatures? A good amount of regular posters have an image that links to their Backloggery stats but they don't seem to be displaying properly anymore. I thought it was related to a specific theme but it doesn't seem to display properly in ProSilver Light or RB Milk.
Is it just Backloggery images, or all images? Because my Backloggery image was working in my signature until recently. Backloggery just launched their new site, and I figured that's why the image isn't currently working.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Good to know about Milk -- I haven't been using that one, so I appreciate the extra notes!
\
And yes, I agree on the text colors and quotes -- those will be big priorities to fix.
(I'm on a bit of a break right now and will follow up with developers when I can)

I hadn't noticed any of the signature issues until this morning.
Can anyone confirm signature images that aren't working that are Backloggery?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Another thing I just noticed with RB Milk... There's a black background (which I suppose it just temporary?) when you're at the top of the page. But once you scroll down it hard stops and the background is the default white or light grey.

The light version of Milk definitely looks better with the dark background, which is similar to what the old RB theme was.