Racketboy Month of Horror 14: Please Call First

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 14: Please Call First

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Happy Halloween! I hope everyone had a great holiday (and that @michi is OK after clearly OD’ing on horror movies!). We hosted my daughter and her friends, who all went out trick ‘r treating. They’re in high school; so, it may be the last time they go out, which is a bit bittersweet. My son, who’s a bit younger, wasn’t going to go, but his friends talked him into going at the last minute. (He put on a soccer outfit and went as Lionel Messi.) My wife and I passed out Halloween candy - full size Skittles, Starburst, and Sour Patch Kids - and we ordered some pizzas when everyone got back to the house, making for a pretty perfect night!

Once the party broke up, my wife and I watched Talk to Me. It’s about a group of teenagers obtaining an embalmed hand that lets you communicate with the dead (and, specifically, the damned). At first, they use it at parties and as a prop in Tik Tok videos, but as expected, things quickly get very out of hand (pun intended). Some of them end up violently possessed, and others obsessed with speaking to lost loved ones. It is pretty standard horror fare, but it is executed exceptionally well. More importantly, it’s just really, really scary, and it’s good to know that, even jaded horror fans like us can still be frightened from time to time. Highly recommended! (Available to rent or buy on Prime Video).

For our scary TV show this year, my wife and I watched Netflix’s The Fall of the House of Usher. It is a fun semi-anthology about an amoral, exceptionally wealthy family meeting its demise. Each episode is inspired by one of Edgar Allen Poe’s poems or short stories - all framed by “The Fall of the House of Usher” - with coy references to a few other Poe works. (The federal prosecutor investigating the family is named C.A. Dupin; the family’s lawyer is Gordon Pym; etc.) All of the characters, with a few exceptions, are despicable. Still, it’s fun to see them meet their grisly dooms, and the show is very well made, which is what I’d expect from a show written, directed, and produced by Mike Flanagan. (It also has a satisfying ending, which is something I did not expect based on my experience with his other series!) It’s not very scary, but very macabre, and perfect for this time of year. Recommended! (Streaming on Netflix)

Your Blood Runs Cold at the Sight of prfsnl gmr’s October Horror Movie List Spook-tacular!
The Bloodhound - :)
The Brides of Dracula - :|
The Burning - :)
Cargo - :(
Dressed to Kill - :|
The Exorcist III - :)
Get Out - :D
A Haunting in Venice - :D
The Girl with All the Gifts - :D
Open Water - :|
Ouija: Origin of Evil - :D
Rabid - :cry:
Renfield - :)
Talk to Me - :D
Totally Killer - :D

Scream at prfsnl gmr’s Pre-Gaming Watchlist of Blood!
Altered States - :)
As Above So Below - :|
Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter - :|
Dead & Buried - :D
Evil Dead Rise - :D
Insidious - :D
In The Mouth of Madness - :|
Malevolent - :)
The Pope’s Exorcist - :)
Run Rabbit - :cry:
The Stepfather - :)
Tenebrae - :D
Train to Busan - :D
Unseen - :)
Vivarium - :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I didn't get to watch or read nearly as many things as I would have wanted, but I did get to watch a few movies during October. I kinda made up for last year, I had plans to watch some old horror movies on VHS but wasn't able to. I fixed that this year.

My brother was watching the Nightmare on Elm Street series, and we were talking about the movies as he was watching them. This series has always been a favorite of mine. I haven't seen the movies in a long time now, and talking about them made me want to watch them. Usually I would watch them in order, but this year I decided I didn't really care LOL. We were talking about the second movie, so I watched that one first. Then I decided to watch the first movie, which is the only Elm Street movie I own on VHS. I was going to jump to Freddy's Dead or New Nightmare, but I didn't get to it. The first Elm Street I had owned on VHS roughly when I was in high school. I wanted the entire series on VHS, but couldn't afford them. Just look at how awesome they look all lined up...

Then I watched The Thing From Another World...

Then Dracula...

Then Dracula: Dead and Loving It...

Then Renfield (streaming, of course)...

edit: Forgot, I watched Alien on VHS as well !

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Happy (day after) Halloween!

I hope everyone had a fun, horror-filled time filled with monster movies, pumpkin carving and maybe even some candy. I spent what part of the day that I could watching TCM, because they had a bunch of classic Hammer and Universal monster movies on rotation, and those always bring me joy. I also carved my pumpkin in the evening, which was a lot simpler design than last year, because I didn't want to spend 4 hours carving again this year...

Mimikyu sends you seasons greetings.

And tonight I was finally able to cook the seeds, so I have a nice snack for later. All in all a lovely holiday.

Thanks for everyone who joined and shared what they were playing/watching/doing this year. As always, it's a blast to read through what everyone is playing and watching.

See ya again next year!
marurun

Post by marurun »

One last addition to this thread: the last official PC Engine game, Dead of the Brain 1 & 2, released originally in 1999, finally has an English translation (and also French)! It dropped on Halloween because the game is a gory VN. Go and get it!

https://pcengine.proboards.com/thread/1 ... ish-french
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.