Netflix ending DVD service in September

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Netflix ending DVD service in September

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Why, what did they do?

I think that's referring to the price hike.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Ziggy587 wrote:Why, what did they do?

In this case I'm just talking about the whole "we might mail out ten extra DVDs" thing.

I don't think Netflix owes me anything. I paid them for a service and they provided it. They wanted to stop providing it and they stopped charging me. Great.

But then making a big announcement and then not really following through. That's the kind of thing assholes do.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Limewater wrote:But then making a big announcement and then not really following through. That's the kind of thing assholes do.

Oh, I hadn't heard that. They didn't mail out a ton of DVDs to folks after all?

EDIT:
I do see that this was an opt-in back at the end of August. It wasn't automatic.

https://www.vulture.com/2023/08/netflix ... -free.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:EDIT:
I do see that this was an opt-in back at the end of August. It wasn't automatic.

Opting in made no difference.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Limewater wrote:

That sucks. They floated a "get free DVDs as we shut down" and then didn't send out anything? That's irritating.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:
Limewater wrote:

That sucks. They floated a "get free DVDs as we shut down" and then didn't send out anything? That's irritating.

I've heard second and third-hand accounts that maybe a few people got an extra disc or two. The only direct accounts I have seen, and my personal experience, was 0.

Which, I'll reiterate, is fine. Netflix doesn't owe me anything. But by saying something in the first place they created the situation to make themselves look like jerks.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I was wondering about this. I definitely opted in to receive "up to 10" DVDs on the last day. They did say that it would depend on availability and all that. But my queue was large, so I'm kinda surprised and that I didn't get at least 1 extra DVD. So are you saying that they didn't ship extra DVDs to anyone? Or just that you didn't get any. Because I would find it very unlikely that they shipped out all copies of all DVDs and had nothing left from my queue to send me. Unless they had some sort of quota.

You're right. NetFlix doesn't owe me anything. But I am kind of disappointed that I didn't receive any extra DVDs at the end. I was a customer of 16 years, and apparently a top 20% renter. It would have been a nice memento, if nothing else.

I did technically get one extra DVD. I had a 2-at-a-time plan, and the last two DVDs they sent me were the same movie, even though my queue said they shipped me two different movies. Never had that happen before. So I reported it, and they shipped me the next correct movie from my queue. So now I have 3 DVDs from NetFlix that I get to keep, but two of them are the same.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Ziggy587 wrote:So are you saying that they didn't ship extra DVDs to anyone? Or just that you didn't get any.

I am saying that I did not get any and I have not seen any first-hand accounts of anyone who got any.
Sure, there is likely selection bias there. If someone was expecting extra discs and got some, he might not be likely to announce it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You're right. A DVD watcher is less likely to take to social media about this.

Perhaps they shipped out as many DVDs as they could before the last shift ended. I mean, I don't suppose they would have everyone work overtime to make sure all of their customers got extra DVDs on the last day. So maybe not many extra DVDs went out at all.