Recommend some great movies that were critically panned

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Recommend some great movies that were critically panned

Post by Raging Justice »

Ack wrote:As for your movie question, Spaceballs has a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 46% on Metacritic.

Also, Hawk the Slayer is amazing

I love Spaceballs, especially this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=356faqb9JnU

"What the hell am I looking at" :lol:

Hawk the Slayer looks fun. I've seen Boondocks Saints mentioned more than once in this thread and it also has my interest. I've seen that particular movie mentioned in other places online as well. I'll probably try out most of the suggestions here though if I have the time.

SamuraiMegas wrote:I really love old Hong Kong Kung Fu movies, especially Shaw Brothers produced ones. The stories are all damn near identical and end the second the villain dies; the dubs are atrocious, and the characters are often hard to tell apart because they're all buff bald monks wearing the exact same outfit :lol:

All the stuff that makes them terrible is what makes them amazing. They're fun, they're straight to the point and they have wildly impressive choreography - of course there's plenty of wire work, but many of those guys were really skilled gymnasts and shit.

The "plot" is just a device that carries you to cool fight scenes in those movies and they don't really try to hide it, and I think that's what I really love about them. Check out the Wu Tang Collection on YouTube. They've got a ton on there.

I'm kind of a purist who likes watching stuff like that in the original language with subtitles. However, second viewings with bad dubs can certainly be a source of entertainment for sure. I've actually seen certain movies do bad dubs intentionally just for the comedic effect.

I have been wanting to watch some Shaw movies for some time, but my god there seems to be so MANY of them

Limewater wrote:Super Mario Bros (1993): I've posted about this one before, more than once. 29% on RottenTomatoes.
They used the Mario source material, which at this point was only a few games, as a springboard for child's first cyberpunk dystopia. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo were apparently drunk a lot of the time, but they had great chemistry together, and actually spent most of the movie together.
This movie couldn't be made today.

Soldier (1998): 15% on RottenTomatoes.
Kurt Russell is Sgt. Tod, who was selected as an infant in 1996 for a supersoldier program and spends the first 40 years of his life training and fighting in wars. When the movie picks up he is "between wars." New genetically engineered super-soldiers are brought in and Tod is literally thrown away for dead on a trash planet and has his first first interactions with civilians who have been stranded there.
It's pretty cliche, but Kurt Russell is great in it, the action is great, and I think it honestl does a pretty good job of portraying someone who socially stunted and had difficulty relating to others.
I think it's probably Paul W. S. Anderson's best film, but that's kind of damning with faint praise.

The Hunt (2020): 57% on RottenTomatoes.
Not exactly trashed, but way better than the critics wanted to give it credit for. It's a horror movie about the polarized political climate, so I probably shouldn't discuss it on this board. Really it's about how people dehumanize each other. Really, though, it's great. It stuck with me.

Troll 2 (1990): 5%
A true joy to watch. Now a cult classic.

Twilight (2008): 49%
Yes, THAT Twilight. Hilarious. Seriously. I saw this opening night in a theater full of adult women. Everyone was laughing the whole time.

I'm down for checking out Soldier. Event Horizon made me realize that Paul W. S. Anderson actually CAN make good movies (I do have a soft spot for the first Mortal Kombat though). I might even listen to PretentiousHipster and give Resident Evil: Retribution a chance.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I just remembered another one.

The Forgotten (2004)

Critics said it was too ridiculous to take seriously and audiences also gave it negative reviews, but I thought it was really solid. I didn't exactly know what genre of movie it was going in, and I think I liked it better for that. There are a couple of really great, surprising scenes that I still remember, and I saw this one within a year of release.
It's about a woman who is grieving her dead son and then, one day, nobody else remembers that she ever had a son.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I know you've all grown sick of me name-dropping REPO! The Genetic Opera, but something not many folks seem to point out is that it's strangely more timely now than it was when it got a limited theatrical run 15 years ago this November before being dumped onto the home media market.

And given the at best less-than-scrupulous stories of record execs and superstar producers prevalent today, I'd also say how timely 1974's Phantom of the Paradise is.