Sony Trinitron KV-13FS100 No Picture After Service Menu Doh!

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
retromangia
16-bit

Sony Trinitron KV-13FS100 No Picture After Service Menu Doh!

Post by retromangia »

Hi Everyone,

I have a beautiful little 13” Sony Trinitron, model # KV-13FS100. Ever since I bought it years ago, it never saved the picture settings when you unplugged it from the wall. All the picture settings would always default to a very low setting, so I would have to raise them all to a normal level. Other than that little quibble, it worked perfectly and looked great as long as I kept it plugged in.

So last night I finally decided to try and fix it, and due to my negligence, turned this little annoyance into a nightmare.

After doing some research, I was able to get into the service menu. This is my first time ever using a TV’s service menu, and I completely underestimated the power of it.

Unfortunately, the very first time I entered the service menu, I had the TV set to RF/Antenna, so all the menu text was illegible, so silly me started pressing random buttons on the remote, not realizing I could do any harm.

After changing it to one of the video inputs, I was able to clearly read the service menu. All I was trying to do was save the current TV settings, so the colors wouldn’t reset when I unplugged it. So I hit “Mute”, then “Enter” on the remote to save settings, and the TV Turned off.

It hasn’t worked ever since.

The TV still turns on (you hear the nice “ka-chunk”), but does not display a picture now. When I flip through the TV Inputs and land on RF/Antenna, I CAN hear static like you normally would. So there is life in her.

The first time I pressed 8, then “Enter” on the remote to reset all USER settings back to factory, the TV kept turning on and off in a loop until I unplugged the power cable. Now however it doesn't seem to do that anymore when I press 8, then enter. So that was just a one time thing.

I’m really at a stand still right now. I've also tried resetting the SERVICE MENU back to factory defaults by pressing 0, then “enter” on the remote, but that didn't do a thing.

When I turn on the TV, the Power LED will blink 7 times then stop, and every now and then it will blink 5 times then stop.

Any advice would truly be appreciated. I really want to bring this little beauty back to life.

Thank you so much,
Retromangia
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron KV-13FS100 No Picture After Service Menu

Post by Anapan »

Sorry to hear about your TV.
My first thought is what you already tried - resetting the user settings to factory.
I don't know if it's much help, but the blinking led - often called "blink codes" are part of the TV's self diagnostic. 7 blinks on Trinitrons means high voltage shutdown. The recommended places to look for problems are the horizontal deflection circuitry or the power regulation area. Possibly replacing the power regulation ICs - MCZ3001DB.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

This thread is probably relevant.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/you-have-a-sony-that-wont-power-on-and-the-standby-light-blinks-help-and-suggesti.928945/

Anapan's suggestion is in line with what's been posted there.

People have reported success from following the advice on that thread.

In the meantime, you might consider unplugging the TV and letting it sit for at least 24 hours. It probably won't fix your problem, but there's a small chance it will, and it's very low-effort.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

There's actually a couple of guides here made by CRTGAMER.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=32118
Only because of the blink code I think that some setting you adjusted pushed the horizontal deflection circuit to overstress the already failing power supply board. The usual fail-point is those ICs.

I know that when I play with the service menus of my CRTs, some settings temporarily overstress the capabilities, and I find that each TV has its own characteristics and limits. Often this causes a failure - weird colors, desynchronization, curved picture at the extremities, strange humming, grey background, audible pops and other visual anomalies. Always this is only temporary. Once I switch to a different input and reset the settings, they come back to full functionality.

Everything in these links is valid and likely can bring your TV back.

One thing I'd like to stress is that the inside of a CRT can store a dangerous amount of energy., but unlike the 200Lb monstrosities that we usually try to fix, your tube should self-deplete its energy to safe levels over around 24 hours. I personally de-energised a 13" trinitron last year after only unplugging it 4 hour previous, and we didn't even hear a pop.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Thanks for posting that guide!

I'm sure I will be referring to that when my own Trinitron CRT finally dies.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
retromangia
16-bit

Post by retromangia »

Anapan and Limewater, Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your time and help.

Anapan, what your saying makes complete sense. I must of adjusted something unknowingly outside of the TV's comfort zone.

You've given me hope now, and tomorrow when I'm back at the office I'll give those guides a try. I truly do believe this is a software settings issues, as the TV was working perfectly fine before I made any adjustments.

I will keep you posted, and thanks again