Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by bmoc »

I've been using the hell out of save states with my Polymega. They are just so darn convenient as an adult with a busy schedule. I recently unlocked Devil Kazuya in Tekken 1 by exploiting save states. I did it legit back in 1995 but I just don't have the desire to get that good at Galaga again. They are great for stuff like that and games that should have had save features but didn't. SNES Jurassic Park always springs to mind because it takes a solid 3 hours to beat if you know what you are doing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

My sources say Jurassic Park SNES is doable in under 50 minutes if you know what you're doing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Are your sources AGDQ?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

bmoc wrote:I've been using the hell out of save states with my Polymega. They are just so darn convenient as an adult with a busy schedule. I recently unlocked Devil Kazuya in Tekken 1 by exploiting save states. I did it legit back in 1995 but I just don't have the desire to get that good at Galaga again. They are great for stuff like that and games that should have had save features but didn't. SNES Jurassic Park always springs to mind because it takes a solid 3 hours to beat if you know what you are doing.

I abuse save states like the state of -redacted- abuses teachers. I'm too damn busy and too damn tired with too damn many games I want to play to be bothered to "git gud."
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

nickfil wrote:
marurun wrote: But I also had to give up Hollow Knight because I didn't have the time, skill, or manual dexterity to get past one particular spot. But I totally would savestate through that spot if I could. The game is so compelling in other ways.

I had the same experience with hollow knight but I don't think I'd power through with a save state. I was getting what that game was putting down and it is just an uphill battle the entire time.

I also never felt compelled to keep going? It felt so open ended that I hit a point where is ¹ difficult and ² has nothing pushing me through the story.

I get why people love it. It just wasn't for me.

Yeah, I recognize it's a great game and I understand what makes it great but Hollow Knight just dragged for me until it wore me out. It actually put me off of Metroidvanias for a while.

Save states wouldn't have saved the game for me either since I bounced off of it for the same reasons.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I use save states. I think they are great for: (1) saving between levels on old games that are too long to beat in one sitting (i.e., convenience); (2) practicing the hard parts of old games (i.e., gittin’ gud); and (3) experiencing games that aren’t enjoyable or good enough to justify more than an a few hours (i.e., content tourism).

That’s just me! However people enjoy old games is fine with me. The important part is that they enjoy them and, ideally, visit the Racketboy forums to write about them too.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

marurun wrote:Are your sources AGDQ?

Lol, speedrunning is a whole different beast. I was basing my Jurassic Park estimate on what is doable by mere mortals https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=4897
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've found How Long To Beat ends up being inflated, at least for me. I'm usually 10-20% under whatever estimates it has.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'd agree with that. The math checks out on Jurassic Park.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(3) experiencing games that aren’t enjoyable or good enough to justify more than an a few hours (i.e., content tourism).

So far watching Game Center CX has fulfilled any "content tourism" desires I have had. I go through the show very slowly, though. I think I started watching it almost ten years ago, and I'm only up to episode 154.

I usually watch it late at night when I should just go straight to bed and instead fall asleep after a few minutes and have to break it up over several nights.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii