Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

You know what I love about Donkey Kong? The story of DK is about an ape who is feeling oppressed, feels they are smarter than others, dons a tie and kidnaps people in a dunning-Kruger effect-fueled rampage. Wait.. DK... Dunning-Kruger? Seems relevant somehow.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Let’s get a few things clear before returning to regular discussion. While one particular set of posts highlighted the need for this, this post is directed at everyone, and not just one individual.

Yes, America CAN BE (but isn’t inherently) more sensitive to issues of racism simply due to how pervasive it has been and continues to be in US history. That said, other nations have just as much racism, but they are often less skilled at discussing and confronting it.

Further, on the internet intentions don’t mean shit, because nobody can successfully tell what anyone else is thinking. Racism IS embedded in language, intent be damned, so be prepared to account for that here on the forums.

Finally, as far as these forums are concerned, political correctness is simply a matter of adhering loosely to the platinum rule: treat / refer to others as they would prefer to be treated / referred to. The golden rule isn’t empathic enough. If that’s a problem for anyone, now’s your chance to find a new forum somewhere else. You don’t get to decide what language is offensive to others.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

All this over a word even that dictionary.com site itself says:

Origin of gyp1
1885–90, Americanism ; back formation from Gypsy

Usage note
Gyp in the meanings “to swindle” or “a person who swindles” is sometimes perceived as insulting to or by Gypsies, since it stereotypes them as swindlers. However, gyp has apparently never been used as a deliberate ethnic slur, and many people are unaware that it is derived from Gypsy.

That's really reaching for outrage looking back 120 years plus. He did have some valid points even if not everyone would agree to it. I would not be surprised if there were no more posts from him in this political echo chamber, err gaming site.

Maybe it would be best to just scrub it and keep the Switch topic on just that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, current gypsy populations aren't large, and they can be fairly insular, so probably nobody consulted them when creating that dictionary.com entry. Even if it wasn't historically used as a pejorative (which I doubt is actually true), it's clearly based on negative stereotypes associated with the gypsy people. As such, we should all be reasonable human beings and use any of the dozens of other words out there that mean the same thing without insulting an ethnic group.

This is a Switch subforum, so let's talk about Switch stuff, now that there's no more need to address this topic as it has been administratively settled.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Tanooki wrote:That's really reaching for outrage looking back 120 years plus. He did have some valid points even if not everyone would agree to it. I would not be surprised if there were no more posts from him in this political echo chamber, err gaming site.

And those points were argued against at length.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Tanooki wrote:That's really reaching for outrage looking back 120 years plus. He did have some valid points even if not everyone would agree to it. I would not be surprised if there were no more posts from him in this political echo chamber, err gaming site.

Hahaha.. Political echo chamber... If not using words that disparage a group of people, intended or not is a political echo chamber then count me as a person who likes to not be a dick.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, we're done. What needed to be said was said. Back to Switch stuff.

And there's a lot of Switch stuff to talk about. So many releases crowding the schedule. Lots of indie goodness. What are people digging?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:OK, we're done. What needed to be said was said. Back to Switch stuff.

And there's a lot of Switch stuff to talk about. So many releases crowding the schedule. Lots of indie goodness. What are people digging?

Digging toe jam and earl on the switch!

It's core is the original toejam and earl and features a ton of elements form the sequels, but now with a lot of new features. Having it on the switch makes 2 player co-op a must.

Soooo good!

marurun

Post by marurun »

I'm kinda looking forward to Mario Maker 2. I didn't dabble in the first one, but it could be a real blast. I'm also pretty hype for the Switch version of DQ11.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:I'm kinda looking forward to Mario Maker 2. I didn't dabble in the first one, but it could be a real blast. I'm also pretty hype for the Switch version of DQ11.

Let me be the first to say that Mario maker 2 is gonna be a game that you personally LOVE. Why I say this is because it is a simple game to pick up and play. Do a couple levels, leave constructive feedback to the creator and set it down. Also, your son is getting older and when you want to introduce games to them, Mario maker 2 is the perfect place because you can build levels catered to their experience and teach them the basics.

Plus the level creation is the most intuitive I have ever experienced in any creation game. It flows so well (Mario make 1 did at least) and I feel like 2 is going to improve dramatically.

It was such a wild ride that felt so unique!