Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Nintendo Switch is stepping into VR.... with Labo. I called it long ago and I 100% endorse this. I will now be buying Labo.

And... I already preordered one myself!

EDIT: And a thought. I wonder if the Labo VR software will be compatible with one of these (better built than cardboard) 3rd party headsets:

https://nsglasses.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Nintendo Switch is stepping into VR.... with Labo. I called it long ago and I 100% endorse this. I will now be buying Labo.

I suspect it'll only really be at the level of demoing VR on a basic level. Much like Cardboard has already been doing for years. Neat for a few minutes, but not something you'd want to use routinely.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The $40 price is impulse buy territory. And I still have gamers club thru BB so got it for $32. Cheap enough to mess with. I'll be interested if any other games would add VR support once it's available.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I doubt it. It's possible we'll see an example here and there, but I suspect most reasonable implementations of what the Switch could pull off would be best left to Labo minigames anyway. Every example shown has the Switch being held up to the person's face - logical in many ways, but it does limit control options. Even then, you're talking about having ~640x360 available per eye, via a screen with low PPI. Realistically, it'll be like playing N64 with your face a few inches from the TV.

That said, the other major part of an immersive VR experience is proper motion tracking, and the Switch is relatively well equipped for that compared to a phone.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

That's true. Although I could see indie developers mess with the functionality. The eShop is pretty wild west.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AND IN OTHER GREAT NEWS...

Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

God damn it!

Does every indie game I get digitally absolutely have to get a physical release later?!

Nah I'm just kidding, is good news that a physical release is coming out. It be better if it was from somebody other than the 'licensed scalpers' that is LRG, but as long as the game doesn't get a limited edition, they will probably print enough of them, now they seem to only scalp the limited editions rather than everything they release.

But in seriousness, I started to think that I shouldn't bother buying any game digitally anymore, at least in the first five years of its release, or buying any new game in the first five years of its release at all, or buying any new game period.

Retro true exclusives are both the most enjoyable and 'safest' games to buy for me these days.

As for the Labo toy VR. I don't care much about VR in general, and I don't care much about Labo either (it was released about 25 years too late for me). So I obviously don't care about the Labo VR either, but good for those that do and children also I suppose.

EDIT: Of course there's a 'Collector's' edition for it! Well at least the normal version pre-order limit won't go out in 30 minutes.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well yeah they are scalper feeders, but it was said somewhere from them outside that announcement it was going to be a best buy release like Golf Story and others are. So if you're not into being a collector pigeon paying $55 for some weak extra fluff, just wait to walk into that store and buy it without the hype.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

I heard that their Best Buy releases are 'stripped down', as in missing manuals and reversible covers. I haven't researched this so I don't know how true it is though, since I got it over the grapevine.

I can't walk into a Best Buy by the way, I don't live in the US, and as far as I know the chain hasn't spread globally yet.

Anyway, I don't mind paying the extra for the fluff edition, I mind paying full in advance AND having to use a bot, or whatever people are using these days to pre-order something in the 30 minutes it takes for it to disappear.

I also don't like supporting the artificial scarcity racket they got going on, which ends up negatively affecting everyone whose interested in these physical releases.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

no bot needed. These are preorders, open for a set period of time. It's not limited to X number of copies.

I'm thrilled it's getting a physical release. Had bought it digitally on Xbox One, and have since wanted to play it on Switch. But buying it digitally a second time felt meh because I had a hunch it would get a physical release on Switch.